This tutorial will demonstrate the steps to make a pie chart in Excel with words. Pie charts are very useful when you need to transform data into a pie chart for better representation. Every section of a pie chart presents its data and the whole pie chart shows the whole data at a glance. A pie chart performs best when you have data with one series. After going through this article, you can make a pie chart in Excel yourself.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here.
Step-by-Step Procedures to Make a Pie Chart in Excel with Words
We’ll use a sample dataset overview as an example in Excel to understand easily. If you follow the steps correctly then you should make a pie chart in Excel on your own. We will illustrate the steps throughout this article.
Step 1: Arranging Dataset for Making Pie Chart in Excel
For instance, we have a dataset of people with their Names in Column B and Work Hours in Column C. At this point, you want to make a pie chart.
Step 2: Making Excel Pie Chart with Words
Our main goal is to make a pie chart to present the series of data at a glance.
- First, select the data and click on the Insert tab.
- Then, go to the Insert Pie or Doughnut Chart option and select 2-D Pie.
- After selecting the pie as your need, you will find the result like the below image.
Step 3: Labeling Chart Data
In this case, we aim to label the pie chart with proper data to present it perfect data series. To do that we have to follow the following steps:
- Select the graph chart and go to the Chart Elements option.
- Next, click on the Data Labels option to label the pie chart.
- After that, this image will come on your screen.
- How to Make a Budget Pie Chart in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- Make Multiple Pie Charts from One Table (3 Easy Ways)
- How to Create a Pie Chart in Excel from Pivot Table (2 Quick Ways)
- Explode Pie Chart in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- How to Make Pie Chart with Breakout in Excel (Step by Step)
Format Excel Pie Chart
Now, we want to Format the Pie chart in Excel to make it more visually attractive. We can do that by performing the below ways:
Using Different Styles and Colors
Initially, we want to present the data labels more suitably. For that, we will do as described below:
- Select the chart and press the Chart Elements option.
- Use the Data Labels option to go to the Data Callout option.
- After that, you will the following result.
Next, our target is to change the text Legend. To do that, we will follow the instructions given below:
- Select the chart and press the Chart Design tab.
- Afterward, go to Add Chart Element option and use Legend to make the changes accordingly.
Moreover, if we want to present the whole pie chart differently, we can change it by this process:
- Select the whole chart and go to the Chart Design tab.
- Choose the pie chart as your wish.
- After clicking on the selected pie chart the following image will come on your screen:
Adding a Pie of Pie or Bar of Pie Chart
In this case, our goal is to present the pie with a more individual description of o certain section. To do that we will perform the following procedures:
- Select the whole data table and go to the Insert tab.
- Go to the Data Callout option and select the Pie of Pie option.
- After that, you will find the proper result below.
- If you want to use a bar of a pie chart, then do the process similar to Pie of Pie Chart but with a slight change in the last portion. In the last step, select the Bar of Pie Chart instead of the Pie of Pie Chart option.
- Finally, you will find this result.
Things to Remember
- We have shown the steps of making a pie chart in 2-D Pie. But it is recommended to never use the 3-D Pie option because it’s simply of no use. In many cases, it creates confusion by carrying the wrong message.
- The pie chart works best in the case of only one data series. If you use more than one series, it can create complications.
Henceforth, follow the above-described methods. Thus, you will be able to make a pie chart in Excel with words. Let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Follow the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.
- How to Make a Pie Chart with Multiple Data in Excel (2 Ways)
- How to Edit Legend of a Pie Chart in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
- [Solved]: Excel Pie Chart Not Grouping Data (with Easy Fix)
- How to Make Pie Chart in Excel with Subcategories (2 Quick Methods)
- Add Labels with Lines in an Excel Pie Chart (with Easy Steps)
- [Fixed] Excel Pie Chart Leader Lines Not Showing