Pie Chart is one of the most popular ways to show your statistical data graphically. In Excel, we can make a Pie Chart with multiple data by using some simple steps. This article not only covers just how to make a Pie Chart with multiple data but also various ways of how we can customize and format our Pie Chart.
Download Practice Workbook
What Is a Pie Chart?
A Pie Chart is a graphical representation of statistical data in the form of a pie. It is also known as the Circle Chart. In a Pie Chart, each portion of the pie is proportional to the fraction of the data provided. They are also sized according to their respective fractions.
For example, let’s consider sales of flowers at a shop. With the help of a pie chart, we can show the sales of different flowers graphically.
Note: One thing to remember is that we will use Pie Chart for a relatively small amount of data. If the dataset is comparatively large, then the use of Pie Chart might not be a viable option. In that case, you may create a Pie Chart for sum by category if you find it necessary.
2 Ways to Make a Pie Chart with Multiple Data in Excel
In this section of the article, we’re going to learn how to add a Pie Chart in Excel with multiple data points.
1. Using Recommended Charts Command
In the beginning, you can utilize the Recommended Charts command to make a Pie Chart in Excel with multiple data. In the following data set, we have Samuel’s monthly expenses for different household activities. Now, we will add a Pie Chart to show this dataset graphically.
- First, select the dataset and go to the Insert tab from the ribbon.
- After that, click on Insert Pie or Doughnut Chart from the Charts group.
- Afterward, from the drop-down choose the 1st Pie Chart among the 2-D Pie.
After that, Excel will automatically create a Pie Chart in your worksheet.
Read More: How to Make Multiple Pie Charts from One Table (3 Easy Ways)
2. Making a Pie Chart with Multiple Data from Pivot Charts Option
In addition, we can easily make a Pie Chart from the PivotChart option by following some simple steps. As might be expected, we need to create a PivotTable before using the PivotChart feature.
In the following data set, we have monthly sales data of different categories of a grocery store. Let’s create a Pivot Table and later on we will add a Pie Chart from that Pivot Table.
After following the steps of how to create pivot tables, we can get the following output.
Now, we will use the following steps to make a Pie Chart.
- First, select the data set and go to the Insert tab from the ribbon.
- After that, click on the Pivot Chart from the Charts group.
- Now, select Pivot Chart from the drop-down.
- After that, select Pie from the Insert Chart dialogue box.
- Afterward, click OK.
Congratulations! You have successfully created a Pie Chart from a Pivot Table.
Read More: How to Make a Pie Chart in Excel [Video Tutorial]
- How to Make Two Pie Charts with One Legend in Excel
- How to Change Pie Chart Colors in Excel (4 Easy Ways)
- Add Labels with Lines in an Excel Pie Chart (with Easy Steps)
- [Fixed] Excel Pie Chart Leader Lines Not Showing
- How to Create a 3D Pie Chart in Excel (with Easy Steps)
How to Edit a Pie Chart
Excel gives us plenty of options to customize the Pie Chart. Now, we will learn some of the ways to format our Pie Chart.
Editing Color of Pie Chart
To edit the color of a Pie Chart we can use the following steps.
- First, click on any portion of the chart area. Then, the Chart Design tab will open.
- After that, click on the Change Colors option.
- Now, from the drop-down you can choose your preferred color.
Customizing Style of Pie Chart
By following the below given steps, we can customize the Style of a Pie Chart.
- First, click on the Pie Chart and Chart Design tab will be visible.
- After that, select your preferred Style of the Pie Chart from the marked portion of the following picture.
By following the above steps, you can easily edit the Color and Style of a Pie Chart.
Formatting Data Labels
In Pie Chart, we can also format the Data Labels with some easy steps. These are given below.
- First, to add Data Labels, click on the Plus sign as marked in the following picture.
- After that, check the box of Data Labels.
At this stage, you will be able to see that all of your data has labels now.
- Next, right-click on any of the labels and select Format Data Labels.
After that, a new dialogue box named Format Data Labels will pop up.
To edit the Fill and Border of background of the Data Labels select the Fill & Line tab.
You also have customization options for adding Shadow, Glow, Soft Edges,3-D Format under the Effects tab.
In the Size and Properties tab, you can adjust the Size and Alignment of the Data Labels.
Lastly, from the Label Options tab, you can adjust position of your Data Label, format the data type of the Data Label and so on.
Read More: How to Edit Pie Chart in Excel (All Possible Modifications)
How to Make a Pie of Pie Chart
In this portion of the article, we will learn how we can create a Pie of Pie Chart. Usually, when some fractions of a Pie Chart are way lower than the higher ones, it becomes difficult to represent them properly in the normal Pie Chart. In that case, we use the Pie of Pie Chart.
In the following data set, we have Peter’s monthly expenses for his various household activities. If we look closely into our data set, we can see that the bottom three values are way lower than the top 2 values. For this reason, it is a perfect opportunity to implement the Pie of Pie Chart.
To create a Pie of Pie Chart we will use the following steps.
- First, select the entire data set and go to the Insert tab from the ribbon.
- After that, choose Insert Pie and Doughnut Chart from the Charts group.
- Afterward, click on the 2nd Pie Chart among the 2-D Pie as marked on the following picture.
Now, Excel will instantly create a Pie of Pie Chart in your worksheet.
If you need, you can also tell Excel how many of the bottom values you want to show in the 2nd Pie Chart.
You can do this by using the following steps.
- First, right-click on any part on the Pie Chart.
- After that, select Format Data Series.
- Now, in the Format Data Series dialogue box go to Values in second plot option.
After that, you can increase or decrease the number of values you want to show in the Second Pie Chart.
Read More: How to Create A Doughnut, Bubble and Pie of Pie Chart in Excel
Things to Remember
- To make the Chart Design tab visible, you must click anywhere on the Pie Chart.
- While editing the Pie of Pie Chart, make sure that you right-click on the Pie Chart inside the chart area. Otherwise, the Format Data Series option will not be visible.
Finally, we have come to the very end of the article. I really hope that this article was able to guide you so that you can make and customize a Pie Chart in Excel with multiple data points. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any queries or recommendations for improving the article’s quality. To learn more about Excel, you can visit our website, ExcelDemy. Happy learning!
- How to Show Percentage in Excel Pie Chart (3 Ways)
- Rotate Pie Chart in Excel (4 Useful Cases)
- How to Make a Budget Pie Chart in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- Make Pie Chart by Count of Values in Excel
- How to Make a Pie Chart in Excel with Words (with Easy Steps)
- How to Make Pie Chart with Breakout in Excel (Step by Step)