Rulers are used to measure the height and width of cells in Excel. We can do this from the format section of the Home tab. But every time measuring the height and width of cells is very time-consuming. There is a solution to this problem. We can enable the ruler option to measure the height and width easily. Here, we will discuss how to show the ruler in Excel and other properties of the ruler with proper explanations.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
How to Show and Use Ruler in Excel
1. Showing Ruler in Excel
In this first section, we will show all the steps to show the ruler in Excel. Look at the below steps.
- Go to the View tab of Excel.
- Click on the Page Layout option from the Workbook Views group.
- We can see the Ruler option is showing in the Show group.
- Look at the dataset.
We can see the ruler is showing horizontally and vertically. We can measure the length or width of any cell from this ruler.
2. Change Ruler Units
We can change the unit of the ruler according to our desire. The default unit is Centimeter. We want to change this into a millimeter.
- Go to File >> Options >> Advanced.
- Find out the Display option by scrolling the status bar.
- Now, choose Millimeters from the Ruler units section.
- Finally, press the OK button and look at the dataset.
Here, the ruler is shown in the millimeter scale.
- How to Move Up and Down in Excel (5 Easy Methods)
- Calculate Root Mean Square Error in Excel
- How to Do Descriptive Statistics in Excel (2 Suitable Methods)
- [Fixed!] Up and Down Arrows Not Working in Excel (8 Solutions)
- Use of Task Pane in Excel (Detailed Analysis)
3. Remove Ruler from Excel
In this section, we will show how to remove the ruler from Excel.
- Go to the View tab of Excel.
- Untick the Ruler option from the Show group.
The ruler will be removed from the dataset.
What Is the Use of Ruler in Excel?
Here, we will show how to use the ruler to measure the height or width of any cell.
- Move the cursor to the ending edge of a cell in the heading section.
- We will see a symbol, marked by a round shape.
We can see the width of the cell with pixels in the heading section. In this way, we can easily measure the length or width of a cell. We can also resize the cell by moving it in the symbol’s left or right direction.
How to Fix If Ruler Is Greyed Out in Excel
Previously we demonstrated how to show the ruler in Excel. But, sometimes it is seen that the ruler option is grayed out.
This is because the workbook is in Normal mode.
To enable the Ruler option, click on the Page Layout option. The Ruler will be visible after that.
In this article, we described the full process of how to show the ruler in Excel, how to change the unit, remove the ruler, and how to use the ruler in Excel. I hope this will satisfy your needs. Please have a look at our website ExcelDemy and give your suggestions in the comment box.
- How to Remove Blue Lines in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- Make Games in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- How to Create a Word Cloud in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
- Show Coordinates in Excel Graph (2 Easy Ways)
- How to Fix Formula in Excel (9 Easy Methods)
- [Fixed!] CTRL C Not Working in Excel
- How to Color Code Cells in Excel (3 Efficient Methods)