While working with Excel, you may want to remove unwanted links from your spreadsheet. Now, in this article, we’ll show 5 effective ways how to delete hidden link in Excel. In the following sections, we’ll explore how to utilize Excel’s built-in options and VBA code to get rid of hyperlinks. In addition, we’ll also see how to disable automatic link insertion.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from the link below.
5 Ways to Delete Hidden Link in Excel
Excel instantly creates a clickable hyperlink whenever you enter an email address or URL in a cell. However, I find this feature to be a nuisance rather than beneficial hence, without further delay, let’s see each of the methods to eliminate hidden links.
Method-1: Using the Remove Hyperlink Option
We’ll begin with the simplest and most trendy way to remove hyperlinks; simply, we’ll use Excel’s built-in Remove Hyperlink option. So, let’s see it in action.
Considering the List of Clients dataset shown in the B4:C13 cells. Here, the dataset shows the Names of the clients and their Email addresses respectively.
Here, we have used Microsoft Excel 365 version, you may use any other version according to your convenience.
1.1 Removing Single Hyperlink
If you want to remove a single hyperlink within a cell, you can follow the steps shown below.
- In the first place, go to the cell from which you want to remove the hyperlink. For example, we’ve chosen the C5 cell.
- Now, Right-click on the mouse to bring up the Shortcut Menu >> choose the Remove Hyperlinks option.
That’s it, you’ve removed the hyperlink from the C5 cell. It’s that simple.
1.2 Removing Multiple Hyperlinks
Luckily, you may apply the previous method to remove hyperlinks from a range of cells, hence, let us see the process in detail.
- To begin with, select the C5:C13 cells >> Right-click the mouse to open the Shortcut Menu >> choose the Remove Hyperlinks option.
After completing the step, all the hyperlinks should be gone, as shown in the image below.
Read More: How to Remove All Hyperlinks in Excel (5 Methods)
Method-2: Utilizing Paste Special Option
Another handy way to eliminate hyperlinks in Excel involves using the Paste Special feature. The process is simple and easy, therefore, just follow along.
- First and foremost, type 1 in the adjacent E5 cell >> press the CTRL + C keys.
- Next, select the C5:C13 cells >> hit the CTRL + ALT + V keys on your keyboard.
Now, this opens the Paste Special wizard.
- Then, select the Multiply option >> click the OK button.
Finally, your result should look like the picture shown below.
Read More: How to Remove Hyperlink Permanently in Excel (4 Ways)
Method-3: Pasting Links as Values
For our third method, we’ll apply the Paste Values option to remove hyperlinks from multiple cells at once. So, let’s have a look at the process in the steps below.
- Initially, choose the C5:C13 range of cells >> hit the CTRL + C keys.
- Then, navigate to the E5 cell >> click the Paste drop-down >> from the list, choose the Paste Values option.
- Following this, select the E5:E13 cells >> type in CTRL + X.
- In turn, paste these values into the C5:C13 range using the CTRL + V keys.
Lastly, your output should look like the screenshot shown below.
Read More: How to Remove Hyperlink for Entire Column in Excel (5 Ways)
Method-4: Employing Edit Links Option
Sometimes your spreadsheet may have hidden links to another workbook located on your PC. This is an external link that you can clear away using the Edit Links option.
- First, move to the Data tab >> in the Queries & Connections group, and click the Edit Links option.
Now, this opens the Edit Links dialog box.
- Second, click the Break Link button to sever the connection between the two spreadsheets.
As a note, a warning will pop up that you cannot undo this process.
- Now, click the Break Links button to confirm.
- Third, select the C5:C13 cells >> Right-click the mouse >> press the Remove Hyperlinks option.
Eventually, the results should look like the image given below.
That said, however, the world we live in is far from perfect! At times, the Edit Links option may be greyed out, so if you wish, you can explore this article for fixing Edit Links.
Read More: How to Remove Excel Links from Word Document
Method-5: Applying VBA Code
If you have multiple worksheets, and you often need to remove hyperlinks from them, then you may consider the VBA Code below. Now, allow me to demonstrate the process in the straps below.
- At the very beginning, proceed to the Developer tab >> click the Visual Basic button.
Now, this opens the Visual Basic Editor in a new window.
- Second, go to the Insert tab >> select Module.
For your ease of reference, you can copy the code from here and paste it into the window as shown below.
Sub Delete_All_HyperLinks() Dim Wrk_Sht As Worksheet For Each Wrk_Sht In Worksheets Wrk_Sht.Cells.Hyperlinks.Delete Next Wrk_Sht End Sub
⚡ Code Breakdown:
Now, I will explain the VBA code for removing hyperlinks. In this case, the code is divided into 2 steps.
- In the first portion, the sub-routine is given a name, here it is Delete_All_Hyperlinks().
- Next, define the variable Wrk_sht and assign the Worksheet object to it.
- In the second potion, use the For-Next statement to loop through all the worksheets and apply the Hyperlink.Delete method to clear away all the hyperlinks.
- Third, close the VBA window >> click the Macros button.
This opens the Macros dialog box.
- Following this, select the Delete_All_Hyperlinks Macro >> hit the Run button.
Subsequently, the results should look like the screenshot given below.
Read More: [Solved]: Remove Hyperlink Not Showing in Excel (2 Solutions)
How to Switch Off Automatic Insertion of Hyperlinks
If you’re wondering if there is a way to switch off the auto insertion of hyperlinks, Lucky you! Our next section answers this exact question. So, let’s see it in action.
- To start, jump to the File tab, in the top-left corner.
- Next, click the Options button at the bottom.
In an instant, the Excel Options window pops up.
- Then, click on the Proofing tab >> click the AutoCorrect Options.
- In turn, select the AutoFormat As You Type tab >> uncheck the Internet and network paths with hyperlinks option >> press the OK button.
After completing the above steps, the auto insertion of hyperlinks will be disabled.
How to Break Links in Excel and Keep Values
You can break an external link to a different workbook using the Edit Link option. So just follow along.
- In the first place, navigate to the Data tab >> click the Edit Links option.
This brings up the Edit Links wizard.
- Now, click the Break Link button to detach the links between the two workbooks.
- Next, select the C5:C13 cells >> Right-click on the mouse >> choose Remove Hyperlinks option.
Consequently, this should return output, as shown in the screenshot below.
We have provided a Practice section on the right side of each sheet so you can practice yourself. Please make sure to do it by yourself.
This article provides the answers on how to delete a hidden link in Excel quickly and easily. Make sure to download the practice files. Hope you find it helpful. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the Exceldemy team, are happy to answer your queries. Keep learning and keep growing!