Links in Microsoft Word can take you to that certain Excel file from where you created the link in Microsoft Word. After going to that Excel file, if you alter any value there, it will automatically change in Microsoft word. So, it is a valuable process overall. But sometimes, you need to remove Excel file links from Word documents after exceeding their necessity. This article will show how to remove Excel links from a word document effectively. I hope you find this article very interesting and gain lots of knowledge regarding the topic.
Download Practice Workbook
Here, we include two practice workbooks including an Excel file and a word file.
Download the Word file below.
Download the Excel file of Client details below.
How to Create Link Between Excel and Word
Before removing Excel links from a Word document, you need to create links between Excel and Word. Sometimes, in your business, you need to create an Excel link in Microsoft word. This can be done when you create the final output of your business or maintain client details. You can click on the link and it will take you to that Excel file where you can alter any data or details of your client. It will automatically change in the Word documents.
While creating links between Excel and Word, one thing is a must to discuss in this article and that is the difference between linking and embedding. If you link an Excel file and Word, there must a connection between them which means if you click on the link, it will take you to that Excel file. Whereas, if you embed an Excel file in Word, their connection will be broken. In that case, you can’t go to the Excel file from the Word document.
To create the link between Excel and word, follow the steps carefully.
- First, go to the Insert tab on the ribbon.
- Then, select the Object option from the Text group.
- It will open up the Object dialog box.
- Then, select Create from File tab at the top.
- After that, check on the Link to file.
- Next, click on Browse to select the required Excel file.
- Then, select the Excel file and click on the Insert option.
- As a result, in the Object dialog box, the File name is included.
- Then, click on OK to complete the process.
- As a consequence, the Excel table will appear in Microsoft Word. See the screenshot.
- Don’t get it wrong, it’s not only just an image but also the required Excel link.
- If you click on the image, it will take you to the Excel file.
- You can alter any data in Excel, it will automatically change it in word documents.
Step-by-Step Procedure to Remove Excel Links from Word Document
After creating the Excel links in Word, we will turn our focus to how to remove Excel links from a word document. Removing the Excel link means breaking the link. It will turn into an embedded Excel file where the connection between Excel and word is broken. To remove Excel links from a word document, we will show a step-by-step procedure to do the job. Follow the steps.
Step 1: Open Linked Worksheet Object Using Content Menu
First, we would like to go to the Link dialog box where we will get the desired Break Link option. To go there, we need to utilize the Content Menu option. Follow the steps.
- First, right-click on the Excel table in the Word document
- It will open up the Content Menu.
- Then, select the Linked Worksheet Object option.
- From there, select Link.
Read More: How to Remove All Hyperlinks in Excel (5 Methods)
Step 2: Utilize Break Link Option to Remove Excel Links
In this step, we would like to utilize the Break Line option in the Link dialog box. This option will help us to remove Excel links from a word document. Follow the steps.
- After clicking on the Links option, the Links dialog box will appear.
- Then, select the Source file.
- After that, click on Break Link.
Read More: How to Remove Hyperlink Permanently in Excel (4 Ways)
Step 3: Give Final Permission to Remove Excel Links
After clicking the Break Line option, you need to give permission to break the selected worksheet link in a message box. This box will arrive to take final permission before removing the Excel links from the word document. Follow the steps.
- As a result of clicking the Break Line option, a message box will appear to make sure you want to break the selected links.
- Click on Yes.
- As a consequence, the connection between Excel files and Word is broken which means the Excel links are removed from the Word document.
- If you click on the Excel table image, you won’t get anything.
- As a result, It will convert the dynamic Excel table image into a static one.
Read More: How to Remove Hyperlink from Excel (7 Methods)
Things to Remember
- You can copy an Excel table and paste it as paste special in Word. It will also create a dynamic Excel link. But in both cases, you will get a dynamic Excel table image. By clicking on the image, you can go to that Excel file.
We have shown a step-by-step procedure to remove Excel links from a word document. All of these steps are fairly easy to use. In this article, we have also shown how to create links between Excel and Word. We did this because you can get all the things in a single article. I hope we covered all possible areas of this topic. If you have further questions, feel free to ask in the comment box. Don’t forget to visit our Exceldemy page.
- How to Remove Email Link in Excel (7 Quick Ways)
- Delete Hidden Link in Excel (5 Easy Ways)
- [Solved]: Remove Hyperlink Not Showing in Excel (2 Solutions)
- How to Remove Unknown Links in Excel (4 Suitable Examples)
- Remove Hyperlink for Entire Column in Excel (5 Ways)
- How to Remove External Links in Excel