This article illustrates 4 different methods on how to auto-fit row height and column width of cells for wrap text in excel. Following this article might be a great help for you if you often work with wrapped texts in excel. Have a quick look through this article to learn how to do that quickly and save a lot of your time and effort. The following picture highlights the purpose of this article.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from the download button below.
4 Ways to Auto Fit Row Height for Wrap Text in Excel
Here I am going to highlight the methods for you. So let’s begin.
1. Use Keyboard Shortcuts to Auto Fit Row Height of Wrap Text in Excel
- Imagine you have copied some data from a source and pasted it on your worksheet as follows. The data contains the list of top ten books by American authors.
- Now you want to apply Wrap Text on the data to make them properly visible. Then select the entire range of data. After that, press ALT+H+W to apply wrap text. Then the data will look like the below.
- We have not got the desired result yet. Because the row heights of the cells containing wrap texts are not fit properly. To fix this issue, hold the Alt key and then press H, O, and A successively. Then you will see the following result.
- After that, you can press ALT+H+O+I to auto-fit the column widths.
2. Auto Fit Row Height of Wrap Text with Mouse-Click
- You can also do that with just a double-click on the row separator line. First press CTRL+A+A to select the entire worksheet. Then put the mouse on the line separating the row numbers as shown below. Next, double-click on it. After that, the row heights will adjust automatically.
- You can also double-click on the line separating the column numbers to autofit the column widths as shown below.
3. Use Cell Formatting to Auto Fit Row Height in Wrap Text
Alternatively, you can get the same result using cell formatting. Just select the cells containing the wrap texts. Then select Format >> AutoFit Row Height or AutoFit Column Width from the Home tab.
4. Add Magic Buttons from the Quick Access Toolbar to Auto Fit Row Height of Wrap Text
If you need to do this often, then you should probably add a magic button in the Quick Access Toolbar.
- First, press ALT+F+T to open Excel Options. Then select the Quick Access Toolbar tab. Next, choose All Commands from the dropdown list. After that, scroll down to find the AutoFit Row Height or the AutoFit Column Height command. Then select it and then click the Add button. After that, hit the OK button.
- Now you will see a magic button added at the top left corner of the excel window as a Quick Access Tool. You can use this button to auto-fit the row height of wrap texts in just one click.
Things to Remember
- AutoFit Row Height and AutoFit Column Width features in excel do not work with merged cells. You need to manually adjust the row height or column width in that case. Excel shows this behavior by design.
- If you apply autofit row height in a range of cells beforehand then the row height will adjust automatically whenever wrap text is applied in those cells.
Now you know 4 different methods on how to auto-fit row height or column width of wrap text in excel. Please let us know which method you prefer the most. You can also use the comment section below for further queries or suggestions. Do visit our ExcelDemy blog for further readings on excel. Stay with us and keep learning.