Excel Data Validation is an amazing feature that controls the data entered into the worksheet. In the time of entering new data, we can set any kind of condition according to our need on selected cells using Excel Data Validation. But usually, Excel Data Validation Not Working Copy Paste is a major problem in this procedure.
For more clarification, I am going to use a dataset of a company containing data of Employee Name, Department and employees who are in Waiting List.
Download Practice Workbook
Problem and Solution of Data Validation Not Working Copy Paste in Excel
1. Reason for Data Validation Not Working Copy Paste in Excel
In this dataset, I am going to employ the Data Validation Feature in the Employ Name column to limit my entries.
- For this, I have selected Column B which contains the Employee Name.
- Then, from the Data tab, I have selected Data Tools and finally selected Data Validation from there.
A dialogue box will appear.
- Here, the Settings tab is open in the dialogue box.
- After that, we have to select Validation criteria from Allow. Here, I have chosen Text length.
- Next, I have to limit the range for validation. Here, I have allowed the data containing text from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 8 characters for validation.
The Data Validation feature will be applied.
Followingly, I input data that does not satisfy the condition. Here, I wrote the value Labuchange from the Waiting List.
A warning message will be shown for the invalid data entry. As I input data that is invalid according to the Data Validation condition, it did not accept the value and a warning message has appeared.
But if you copy the value and paste it in the data validated column, it will accept the value and no warning message will appear.
This is a serious problem as our Data Validation is not working on copy paste.
- How to Use IF Statement in Data Validation Formula in Excel (6 Ways)
- Use Data Validation in Excel with Color (4 Ways)
- How to Use Data Validation List from Another Sheet (6 Methods)
- Excel VBA to Create Data Validation List from Array
- How to Use Named Range for Data Validation List with VBA in Excel
2. Creating Data Validation Using VBA to Work Copy Paste
- First of all, select the Developer tab.
- Next, select Visual Basic.
A new window will appear.
- Click on the Sheet in which you want to apply the Code. Here, I selected Sheet2 named VBA to apply the code.
- Select the Worksheet from General and Change from Declarations to create a Private Sub.
- Now, input the following code on how you want to validate the data.
My used code is mentioned below:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Dim ValidatedCells As Range Dim Cell As Range Set ValidatedCells = Intersect(Target, Target.Parent.Range("B:B")) If Not ValidatedCells Is Nothing Then For Each Cell In ValidatedCells If Not Len(Cell.Value) <= 8 Then MsgBox "The Name """ & Cell.Value & _ """ inserted in " & Cell.Address & _ " in column B was longer than 8. Undo!", vbCritical Application.Undo Exit Sub End If Next Cell End If End Sub
Here, I created a Private Sub name Worksheet_Change, I declared two variables these are ValidatedCells and Cell as Range. Next, I used the Set method to keep the range where I want to apply validation.
Then, selected Column B for validation. I also mentioned the range here using the Range method. I used the For loop in the nested IF statement to set the conditions Text Length of the selected range can’t be longer than 8. If it does not match the range, a warning box will appear to show a message through MsgBox and Undo option will be available.
- Now, Save the code.
- Then, check is the validation is working or not from the sheet.
Here, I insert the value from the D7 cell by copying and pasting it in B10. The value shows an Error alert according to the data validation condition. So, the warning box will appear.
This method also works perfectly if I input the data through the keyboard or any other process.
You can practice here for being an expert.
Excel Data Validation Not Working Copy Paste problem can have a severe impact in so many important cases. I hope you will be benefited from the solution. For any further questions related to the topic, comment below.
- Excel Data Validation Alphanumeric Only (Using Custom Formula)
- How to Create Excel Drop Down List for Data Validation (8 Ways)
- Data Validation Drop Down List with VBA in Excel (7 Applications)
- Autocomplete Data Validation Drop Down List in Excel (2 Methods)
- Excel Data Validation Drop Down List with Filter (2 Examples)