Databases can reliably handle a huge amount of data and information. They contain levels of data that’d be incomprehensible on a worksheet since they keep data more effectively. A database is often created to make it simple to retrieve data. An Excel database is a worksheet having rows and columns of data arranged and structured in such a manner that worksheet formulae can readily utilize the information. In this article, we will demonstrate the procedures to create a student database in Excel.
You can download the template of the student database and practice with them.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Create Student Database in Excel
Creating a student database is very important because there must be a vast amount of data. And databases can reliably handle a huge amount of data and information. So, we are going to create a database to keep track of and evaluate students’ performance. So, let’s get started creating the student database in Excel.
Step 1: Enter Data for Student
- The name of the columns in a database in the field. We can enter fields for the database as much as we wish to.
- Our database contains some Student ID as Std ID, Student Name as Std Name, total Acquire Marks, Percentage of those marks, Grade, and Remark. And those are the fields in this database.
Step 2: Launch Student Data Correctly
- Now, we need to enter the information of each student accurately.
- After entering the data field for the students, we may now quickly enter information into the database.
- In the Fields, each new instance will be inserted into the first abandoned lot.
Note: You may indeed keep a row blank when entering data into a database. This is expressly forbidden.
Step 3: Make Grade Distribution Description
- Here, we will follow school standard grade distribution.
- We keep the mark range in one column and the grade for each mark range in another column to make it more understandable.
- How to Create a Client Database in Excel (With Easy Steps)
- How to Create an Employee Database in Excel (with Easy Steps)
Step 4: Excel SUM Function to Aggregate Total Marks for Each Student
- The Database functions execute fundamental operations like SUM, AVERAGE, MAX, MIN, and so on, but they also have criterion parameters using IF functions that permit us to calculate just a part of the data in our database.
- To find the total marks for each student firstly, we need to know the marks they obtain in each subject.
- For this, we just make another dataset which holds the Student ID, marks of English out of 100, marks of Chemistry out of 100, marks of Physics out of 100, and marks of Math out of 100.
- Now, we need to find the total number of marks for each student. For this, we are using the SUM function.
- Further, select the cell where you want to put the formula combining the SUM function. So, we select cell D5.
- Then, put the formula into that selected cell.
- Furthermore, press Enter to see the result.
- Drag the Fill Handle down to duplicate the formula over the range. Or, to AutoFill the range, double-click on the Plus (+) symbol.
- Finally, we can see the total marks of each student in column D.
Step 5: Find out Percentage
To find the percentage of marks each student obtains, we need to put the total marks of the examination. We already know that English scores out of 100, Chemistry scores out of 100, Physics scores out of 100, and Math scores out of 100, a total of 400 marks.
- To begin with, we will put this into cell I14, we need this cell to construct our formula. And this cell will take into the formula as an absolute cell reference.
- Similarly, as in the previous step, select cell E5 and substitute the formula.
- Then, press Enter. And the formula will show in the formula bar.
- Further, to replicate the formula throughout the range, drag the Fill Handle downward. To AutoFill the range, double-click on the Plus (+) symbol.
- In the end, we will find the percentage of marks of each student.
Step 6: Discover Grade of Each Student
Now, we need to find the grade of each student. For this, we are going to use the IF function and make an easy criterion to find the grade.
- In the first place, choose the cell where you want to put the formula for finding the grade.
- Then, enter the following formula there.
- After that, to complete the operation hit the Enter key.
- Furthermore, to copy the formula over the range, drag the Fill Handle down or double-click on the Plus (+) icon.
- Lastly, we will get all the grades of each student into the database.
Step 7: Obtain Remark
Here, we will obtain a column to make a comment on their result. The student got the pass mark or the fail mark.
- Likewise the previous steps, first, select cell G5.
- Then, in that selected cell, type in the formula below.
- Hit Enter to see the result.
- Now, drag the Fill Handle downward to repeat the formula across the range. double-click on the Plus (+) sign to AutoFill the range.
- In the end, we will be able to see the remarks of each student.
Step 8: Create Table
The most significant advantage of including a table is that it allows you to visually categorize information. Excel tables are flexible by default, which means they grow and shrink as you add and delete rows and columns. Tables allow for quick and easy reading of concerns shown in rows and columns. Now, the final step, creating the table for the database.
- Firstly, select the whole range of data
- Go to the Insert tab from the ribbon.
- Then, from the Tables category, click on Table.
- This will open a Create Table dialog box.
- Check Mark on the My table has headers box.
- Further, click on the OK button to complete the process.
- This will create a table for your database.
- Now you can easily modify the table.
Final Template of Student Database in Excel
This is the final template of the student database. You can utilize the template and modify the input cells to meet your needs.
Why Do We Use Excel to Create Databases?
Microsoft Excel is made up of rows and columns that contain our data, which we refer to as records. Because it is the most widely used tool, we save our data in Excel, which considers a database. Excel is a strong tool that allows us to interact with data, thus having the data in Excel will make your life simpler. Excel is employed to test and calculate data and can hold vast quantities of data in workbooks that have one or even more sheets as spreadsheet software.
By following the above steps, we will be able to create a student database in excel easily. Or, else, you can just download our template and use the student database for your work in Excel. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback please let us know in the comment section. Or you can have a glance at our other articles in the ExcelDemy.com blog!