If you are working in Microsoft Excel and your work involves printing your workbook then you might feel the need to insert page numbers and change it according to your choice. It’s simple work to do. But page number can’t be viewed when it’s in normal view. They can be seen in print preview or page layout view. Page numbers can be added at the top and bottom of every page. In this article, I am describing how to change page number in excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
2 Easy Steps to Change Page Number in Excel
In the following article, I have shared 2 easy steps to change the page number in excel.
Suppose we have a dataset of some Product List and their Purchasing Price. Now we are going to add page numbers and change the page numbers in our workbook
Step 1: Insert Page Number in Excel
- First, let’s start with inserting the page number into the workbook.
- In order to do so, open your workbook and click the “Page Setup” icon from the “Page Layout” option.
- Therefore, a new window will pop-up named “Page Setup”.
- Hence, select “Header/Footer” and choose “Page 1” from the drop-down list of “Header”.
- Then, hit the OK button to continue.
- Although, you won’t be able to see the page number in normal view.
- However, press the “Page Layout” from the view option to get your desired page number.
- You can also change the page view in a different way which is page number of how many pages. To do so-
- Similarly, open the “Page Setup” window and choose “Header and Footer”.
- Lastly, click “Page 1 of ?” from the drop-down list and click OK to continue.
- In conclusion, you will see the header will display the page number of total pages.
Read More: How to Insert Page Number Using VBA in Excel (3 Macros)
- How to Show Page Number in Excel Background (2 Ways)
- How to Insert Sequential Page Numbers Across Worksheets
Step 2: Utilize Page Setup Feature to Change Page Number
- Sometimes, you might want to change the page number according to your choice. You can do that with some easy steps like-
- Click the “Page Setup” icon from the “Page Layout” option.
- For instance, a new dialog box will appear named “Page Setup”.
- In particular, change the “First Page Number” to “7” from the “Page” option. Here I have put “7” as I wanted to start the page number from “7”. You can put a number of your choice.
- Further, press OK to get the output.
Read More: How to Insert Page Number in Excel Cell Not in Header
- Finally, we have successfully changed the page number in our excel workbook.
Things to Remember
- Furthermore, you can change only the first page number of a workbook according to your choice in excel.
- You can press the Alt+P+S+P button from the keyboard to open the “Page Setup” window as a shortcut way.
In this article, I have tried to cover all the steps to change page numbers in Excel. Take a tour of the practice workbook and download the file to practice by yourself. I hope you find it helpful. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the Exceldemy team, are always responsive to your queries. Stay tuned and keep learning.