Microsoft Excel is a powerful software. We can perform numerous operations on our datasets using excel tools and features. There are many default Excel Functions that we can use to create formulas. Many educational institutions and business companies use excel files to store valuable data. Sometimes, we input data from different sources by linking multiple excel worksheets or even workbooks. However, change in the source files will make changes in the worksheet we’re working on. So, we may need to break links at times. This article will show you the step-by-step procedures to Break Links in Excel Before Opening File.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook to practice by yourself.
Step by Step Procedures to Break Links in Excel Before Opening File
We can break links in excel in two ways. They are: before opening the file and after opening the file. Before opening, we only have an option to break all the links present in the file. To illustrate, we’ll use a sample dataset. For instance, the following dataset contains Salesman, Product, and Net Sales. Here, we take the Net Sales amounts from a different workbook. The source file name is Sample and the Sheet1 is the source sheet. The below figure will help you to understand better. Now, go through the steps to Break Links in Excel Before Opening File.
STEP 1: Rename Excel File
In our first step, we’ll change our file type to Zip file format. We can do this either by changing the file name or by simply opening the excel file with an application that deals with zip files.
- In this example, we’ll change the file extension.
- For this purpose, rename the excel file as Break Lines.zip.
STEP 2: Break Links Before Opening File
Here, we’ll show how to break links by opening the file in zip file format. So, learn the following process carefully.
- Firstly, open the zip file.
- Then, double-click on the xl folder to open it.
- After that, select the externalLinks folder.
- Subsequently, press Delete.
- Now, close the zip file.
- Next, rename the excel file and open it.
- As a result, you’ll get a warning dialog box.
- There, press Yes.
- Again, it’ll return another dialog box.
- Press Close.
At last, the excel file is free from any external links. There won’t be links or formulas anymore. Look at the following dataset where the Net Sales amounts are now only values. In this way, you can break links in excel before opening the file.
How to Break Links in Excel after Opening File
However, we have a more simple process to break links after opening the file. In such a process, we have the authority to choose all the links or only the desired ones. Therefore, follow the steps below to perform the task. We’ll use the same dataset as we demonstrated before.
- First of all, go to Data ➤ Edit Links.
- Consequently, the Edit Links dialog box will pop out.
- Select your desired links or all the links.
- Press Break Link.
- As a result, it’ll return a warning dialog box.
- There, press Break Links.
- Thus, you’ll get your worksheet without any external links.
- See the following picture where our outcome is demonstrated.
Henceforth, you will be able to Break Links in Excel Before Opening File following the above-described procedures. Keep using them and let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Follow the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.