In this article, we will learn to solve the unable to change font color in Excel issue. There are many times we need to change the font color in our excel worksheet. But, sometimes, for various reasons, we can not change the font color in our excel worksheet. Today, we will discuss the probable reasons that could arise and their solutions.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book here.
3 Solutions to the Excel Problem: Unable to Change Font Color
To explain the solutions, we will use a dataset that contains information about the Department and the Age of some employees. Here, we will try to change the font color in the Age column.
1. Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration to Change Font Color in Excel
Sometimes, we connect our device to an external monitor and work on our excel sheet. In that case, we may not change the font color because of the hardware acceleration. So, if you face this problem because of hardware acceleration, you just need to disable it.
Let’s follow the steps below to learn the solution.
- First of all, go to the File tab in the ribbon and select Options.
- Secondly, select Advanced and check the Disable hardware graphics acceleration box from the Display section.
- After that, select the cells where you want to change the font color.
- Then, go to the Home tab and change the color from the Font section.
- Finally, you will be able to change the font color like the picture below.
2. Clear Conditional Formatting to Change Font Color
In the second solution, we will talk about conditional formatting. When conditional formatting is applied to certain cells, we can not change the font color. Here, we will use the same dataset. But, the cells in Column D have conditional formatting.
Now, select the cells of Column D and try to change the font color like the picture below.
It will not work on the selected cells because of conditional formatting.
Let’s pay attention to the steps below to fix the problem.
- In the first place, go to the Home tab and select Conditional Formatting. A drop-down menu will occur.
- Secondly, select Clear Rules and then, select Clear Rules from Entire Sheet.
- Finally, after clearing the rules, we will be able to change the font color like below.
- How to Change Case in Excel without a Formula (5 Ways)
- Capitalize Each Word in Excel (7 Ways)
- How to Capitalize the First Letter in Excel (3 Methods)
- Change Lowercase to Uppercase in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Convert Text to Time Format with AM/PM in Excel (3 Methods)
3. Unprotect Sheet in Excel to Change Font Color
There is another reason that can prevent us from changing the font color. And that is the protected sheet. When a sheet is protected, we can not change the font color. In this case, the options for changing the font color are disabled. We can see that in the below picture with the dataset.
Let’s observe the steps below to solve this issue.
- In the beginning, go to the Review tab in the ribbon and select Unprotect Sheet. This will enable all options in the Home tab.
- In the second place, select the cells and try to change the font color from the Font section of the Home tab.
- Finally, after unprotecting the sheet, you will be able to change colors very easily like below.
- In conclusion, another thing should be added. If your sheet is protected with a password then, it will ask for the password while unprotecting the sheet.
- So, in that case, you need to type the password in a message box like below.
Things to Remember
To apply any specific solution, you need to first look for the reason behind the problem. And then, apply the solution according to the problem. Otherwise, you need to apply all the solutions in your worksheet one by one.
We have discussed 3 easy solutions to the Unable to Change Font Color in Excel issue. I hope these solutions will help you to fix your problem. Furthermore, you can also download the practice book to exercise. Last of all, if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to ask in the comment section below.
- How to Add Text after Number with Custom Format in Excel (4 Ways)
- Excel VBA Codes to Bold Text in a String (5 Examples)
- How to Write 001 in Excel (11 Effective Methods)
- Text Alignment with VBA Command Button in Excel (5 Methods)
- How to Capitalize First Letter of Each Word in Excel (4 Ways)
- How to Change Lowercase to Uppercase in Excel Without Formula