Microsoft Excel is a very effective software. Excel’s tools and functions enable us to perform an infinite number of operations on a dataset. We must use the sigma sign to express math and statistics in Excel. Sigma is the Greek alphabet’s eighteenth letter. The lowercase letter sigma (σ) denotes the standard deviation in math and statistics. In math, the capital letter sigma (Σ) represents to sum it up. This article offers eight straightforward approaches for adding the Sigma Symbol. Therefore, utilize these 8 easy ways to insert Sigma Symbol in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Obtain a free copy of the sample workbook utilized during the session.
8 Easy Ways to Insert Sigma Symbol in Excel
As an example, let’s look at a sample dataset. For example, the following dataset has Sigma and Symbol columns. We will use each of the eight ways to display the sigma sign in Excel. Also, I have yet to say I’ve been working with the Microsoft Excel 365 version for this post. Still, you can use any other edition that makes your life easier.
1. Embed Sigma Symbol from Insert Tab
Utilizing the Insert command is the most common approach for inserting the Sigma Symbol. We can go to three sections from the Insert tab to add the Sigma sign. These are the Equation Option, Symbol Option, and Ink Equation.
1.1 From Equation Option
Follow the instructions below to accomplish the task effectively from the Equation Option.
- To begin, select the active worksheet.
- Second, go to the Insert tab.
- After that, choose Symbol, followed by Equation.
- Then, click the More icon from the Symbol Group.
- Subsequently, a new window will open up.
- Later, pick Greek Letters followed by the Σ sign from the Uppercase section.
- Thus, a tiny Text Box containing an Uppercase Sigma (Σ) sign will come up.
- Now, move the Text Box to cell C5.
- Likewise, go to the window to select Greek Letters and the σ symbol from the Lowercase section.
- As a result, the tiny Text Box containing the σ sign opens.
- Next, move this box to cell C6 to see the below output.
1.2 From Symbol Group
The steps for using the Symbol Option properly are outlined below.
- First, select cell C5.
- Secondly, go to the Insert tab, followed by Symbol to open a new bar.
- Third, this time choose the right section labeled Symbol icon.
- Subsequently, the Symbol window will pop up.
- Next, pick Greek and Coptic from the subset.
- Later, click on the Σ sign followed by Insert.
- Consequently, it will produce the intended output as below.
- Currently, choose cell C6.
- Like before, navigate to the Insert tab followed by Symbol to open a new bar.
- Third, choose the area titled Symbol.
- After that, the Symbol window will appear.
- Then, select Greek and Coptic as a subset.
- Later, click the σ symbol followed by Insert.
- As a result, it will generate the following output.
1.3 Through Ink Equation
With the help of the Ink Equation, please follow the steps below to complete the task.
- First, navigate to the Insert tab and click on Symbol to open a bar.
- Second, pick the Down Arrow icon from the bar right below the Equation.
- Thirdly, another bar will open. Then at the bottom, choose Ink Equation.
- Subsequently, the Math Input Control window will pop up.
- Now, draw an uppercase sigma sign using Mouse or Touch Pad.
- After that, click Insert.
- Later, a tiny Text Box containing Σ sign pops up.
- Next, move the Text Box to cell C5 to see the outcome.
- Like previously, open the Math Input Control window.
- Now, draw a lowercase sigma sign in the drawing section.
- After that, click Insert.
- As a result, a Text Box will open having the σ sign.
- Move the box into the C6 cell to get the output.
2. Use Symbol Font to Type Sigma Symbol
Symbol Font is another good way to type in the Sigma symbol. Please follow the instructions below to complete the assignment.
- To begin, select the C5 cell.
- Secondly, navigate to the Home tab.
- Thirdly, choose Symbol as the font type.
- After that, type an Uppercase S.
- As a result, we will get the intended outcome below.
- Next, pick cell C6.
- Now, navigate to the Home tab.
- Later, select Symbol as the third font type.
- At this time, type a Lowercase S.
- As a consequence, we will get the below-described result.
3. Employ UNICHAR Function to Insert Sigma Symbol
The UNICHAR Function in Excel returns the Unicode symbol corresponding to the given Unicode number. We will enter Sigma using the UNICHAR function in this part. To finish the assignment, please follow these steps.
- First, select the C5 cell.
- After that, input the following formula.
- Now, hit Enter or Tab key.
- Due to this, we will have our desired outcome.
- Next, select the C6
- Then, enter the following formula:
- Now, press Enter or Tab.
- Thus, it will result in our desired outcome.
4. Insert Sigma Through Keyboard Shortcuts
Utilizing a keyboard shortcut to enter Sigma is the most efficient method. Please adhere to the guidelines for completing the task.
- To start, pick the C5 cell.
- Now, hold down the Alt key and type 228.
- After that, release the Alt key to see the outcome below.
- Next, choose cell C5.
- Now, while holding the Alt key, type 229.
- Then, release the Alt key.
- Consequently, we will find the output.
5. Form Custom AutoCorrect Shortcut to Add Sigma
We may also utilize the AutoCorrect Shortcut to add Sigma. Please follow the instructions listed below.
- First, navigate to File.
- Second, choose More, followed by Options.
- Subsequently, the Excel Options window will open up.
- Now, click Proofing, then pick AutoCorrect Options.
- Due to this, AutoCorrect will pop up.
- At this time, type \sigma in the Replace box.
- Later, copy the lowercase sigma from the below section and paste it into the With box.
- Next, click Add.
- After that, in the Replace box, write \capsigma.
- Later, copy the uppercase sigma from the area below and paste it into the section titled With.
- Next, click the Add button followed by OK.
- Again choose OK from the Excel Options window.
- At this point, pick cell c5 and type \capsigma.
- After that, press Space followed by Enter key to see the outcome below.
- Likewise, choose C6 and write \sigma.
- Later, press the Space key, then hit Enter.
- As a result, we can see the output below.
6. Input Sigma Sign from Windows 10 Emoji Panel
The method we will discuss in this portion can only apply to Windows 10 or above version of Windows. To finish this task, go through the steps below.
- To begin, choose cell C5.
- Later, hold the Windows key down and press the Period (.) key.
- Subsequently, the Emoji window will pop up.
- Now, click the Symbol icon.
- Later, find the Σ sign and tap.
- Thus, it will provide the outcome as follow.
- At this point, choose cell C6.
- Likewise, select the σ sign from the Emoji window.
- As a result, we will get the desired output as below.
7. Copy Sigma Sign from Character Map
In this article section, we will use the Character Map Application to embed the Sigma symbol in Excel.
- First, go to the Start bar and type Character Map.
- After that, click Character Map from the Best match.
- Subsequently, Character Map will display.
- Now, write Sigma in the Search Box, then choose Search.
- Next, pick the Σ sign and click the Select button.
- After that, choose Copy.
- Next, select cell C5 and press Ctrl+V to find the outcome below.
- Like earlier, open the Character Map and pick the σ sign followed by the Select.
- At this time, click Copy.
- Next, choose the C6 cell and press Ctrl+V.
- Consequently, we will find the expected output.
8. Insert Sigma Symbol Through Excel VBA
Using VBA, we can import the Sigma Symbol into Excel. Please follow the instructions below to finish the task quickly.
- To begin, choose the active sheet of the worksheet.
- Secondly, navigate to Developer.
- Next, select Visual Basic.
- Afterward, click Insert, followed by Module.
- Now, paste the code below into the Module Box.
Sub inputCapsSigma() Dim sigma As String sigma = ChrW(931) Cells(5, 3).Value = sigma End Sub Sub inputSigma() Dim sigma As String sigma = ChrW(963) Cells(6, 3).Value = sigma End Sub
- Later, click the Save icon.
- Presently, pick cell C5, then go to Macros.
- Subsequently, the Macros window will pop up.
- Next, select inputCapsSigma and then click Run.
- Thus, it will produce the intended outcome.
- Likewise, choose the C6 cell followed by Macros to open the window.
- At this time, pick inputSigma and later tap Run.
- Consequently, we will get our desired output.
You can insert the Sigma Symbol into Excel by following the methods we just covered. On the ExcelDemy Website, there are other articles similar to this one. Continue utilizing them, and let us know if you have additional methods or fresh ideas for completing the task. Please leave any questions, remarks, or recommendations in the space below.