Microsoft Excel is a very effective software. Excel’s tools and functions enable us to perform an infinite number of operations on a dataset. We need to use the sigma sign to express math and statistics in Excel. Sigma is the Greek alphabet’s eighteenth letter. The lowercase letter sigma (σ) denotes the standard deviation in math and statistics. In math, the capital letter sigma (Σ) represents to sum it up. This article offers eight straightforward approaches for adding the sigma symbol. Therefore, use these 8 easy ways to insert the sigma symbol in Excel.
How to Insert Sigma Symbol in Excel: 8 Easy Ways
As an example, let’s look at a sample dataset. For example, the following dataset has Sigma and Symbol columns. We will use each of the eight ways to display the sigma sign in Excel. Also, I have yet to say I’ve been working with the Microsoft Office 365 version for this post.
1. Embed Sigma Symbol from Insert Tab
Using the Insert tab is the most common approach for inserting the sigma symbol. We can go to three sections from the Insert tab to add the sigma sign. These are the Equation Option, Symbol Option, and Ink Equation.
1.1 From Equation Option
Follow the instructions below to accomplish the task effectively from the Equation Option.
- Select the active worksheet and go to the Insert tab.
- After that, choose Symbols, followed by Equation.
- Then, click the More icon from the Symbols group.
- A new window will open up.
- Pick Greek Letters followed by the Σ sign from the Uppercase section.
- A tiny Text Box containing an Uppercase Sigma (Σ) sign will come up.
- Now, move the Text Box to cell C5.
- Likewise, go to the window to select Greek Letters and the σ symbol from the Lowercase section.
- As a result, the tiny Text Box containing the σ sign opens.
- Next, move this box to cell C6 to see the below output.
Read More: How to Insert Degree Symbol in Excel
1.2 From Symbol Option
The steps for using the Symbol Option properly are outlined below.
- Select cell C5.
- Go to the Insert tab, followed by Symbols to open a new bar.
- This time choose the right section labeled Symbol icon.
- The Symbol window will pop up.
- Next, pick Greek and Coptic from the subset.
- Later, click on the Σ sign followed by Insert.
- It will produce the intended output as below.
- Choose cell C6.
- Navigate to the Insert tab followed by Symbols to open a new bar.
- Choose the section titled Symbol.
- After that, the Symbol window will appear.
- Select Greek and Coptic in the Subset section.
- Next, click the σ symbol followed by Insert.
- As a result, it will generate the following output.
1.3 Through Ink Equation
With the help of the Ink Equation, we can insert the sigma sign.
- Navigate to the Insert tab and click on Symbols to open a bar.
- Click on the Down Arrow icon from the bar right below the Equation.
- Another bar will open. Then at the bottom, choose Ink Equation.
- The Math Input Control window will pop up.
- Now, draw an uppercase sigma sign using the Mouse or Touch Pad.
- After that, click Insert.
- A tiny Text Box containing Σ sign pops up.
- Move the Text Box to cell C5 to see the outcome.
- Open the Math Input Control window.
- Now, draw a lowercase sigma sign in the drawing section.
- After that, click Insert.
- As a result, a Text Box will open having the σ sign.
- Move the box into cell C6 to get the output.
Read More: How to Type Math Symbols in Excel
2. Use Symbol Font to Type Sigma Symbol
The use of Symbol font is another good way to type the sigma symbol.
- To begin, select cell C5.
- Navigate to the Home tab.
- Choose Symbol as the Font type.
- After that, type an Uppercase S.
- Again, pick cell C6.
- Navigate to the Home tab.
- Later, select Symbol as the third font type.
- At this time, type a Lowercase S.
Read More: How to Type Diameter Symbol in Excel
3. Employ UNICHAR Function to Insert Sigma Symbol
The UNICHAR function in Excel returns the Unicode symbol corresponding to the given Unicode number. We will enter the sigma using the UNICHAR function in this part.
- First, select cell C5.
- After that, input the following formula.
- Hit the Enter or Tab key.
- Next, select cell C6.
- Then, enter the following formula.
- Now, press Enter or Tab.
4. Insert Sigma Through Keyboard Shortcuts
The use of the keyboard shortcut to enter the sigma is the most efficient method.
- To start, pick cell C5.
- Hold down the Alt key and type 228.
- Release the Alt key to see the outcome below.
- Next, choose cell C5.
- While holding the Alt key, type 229.
- Release the Alt key.
5. From Custom AutoCorrect Shortcut to Add Sigma
We may also apply the AutoCorrect Shortcut to add sigma. Please follow the instructions listed below.
- First, navigate to File.
- Choose More, followed by Options.
- The Excel Options window will open up.
- Click Proofing, then pick AutoCorrect Options.
- Due to this, the AutoCorrect window will pop up.
- At this time, type \sigma in the Replace box.
- Copy the lowercase sigma from the below section and paste it into the With box.
- Next, click Add.
- After that, in the Replace box, write \capsigma.
- Later, copy the uppercase sigma from the area below and paste it into the section titled With.
- Next, click the Add button followed by OK.
- Again choose OK from the Excel Options window.
- At this point, pick cell C5 and type \capsigma.
- After that, press Space followed by the Enter key to see the outcome below.
- Likewise, choose cell C6 and write \sigma.
- Press the Space key, then hit Enter.
- As a result, we can see the output below.
6. Input Sigma Sign from Windows 10 Emoji Panel
This method is applicable only to Windows 10 or above version of Windows. To finish this task, go through the steps below.
- To begin, choose cell C5.
- Hold the Windows key down and press the Period (.) key.
- The Emoji window will pop up.
- Now, click the Symbol icon.
- Later, find the Σ sign and tap.
- Thus, it will provide the outcome as follows.
- At this point, choose cell C6.
- Likewise, select the σ sign from the Emoji window.
- As a result, we will get the desired output as below.
Read More: How to Insert Square Root Symbol in Excel
7. Copy Sigma Sign from Character Map
In this article section, we will use the Character Map application to embed the sigma symbol in Excel.
- First, go to the Start bar and type Character Map.
- After that, click Character Map from the Best match.
- The Character Map window will display.
- Write Sigma in the Search Box, then choose Search.
- Next, pick the Σ sign and click the Select button.
- After that, choose Copy.
- Next, select cell C5 and press Ctrl+V to find the outcome below.
- Open the Character Map and pick the σ sign followed by the Select.
- At this time, click Copy.
- Choose cell C6 and press Ctrl+V.
- We will find the expected output.
8. Insert Sigma Symbol Through Excel VBA
Using VBA, we can import the sigma symbol into Excel. Please follow the instructions below to finish the task quickly.
- Choose the active sheet of the worksheet.
- Navigate to Developer.
- Next, select Visual Basic.
- Click Insert, followed by Module.
- Now, paste the code below into the Module.
Sub inputCapsSigma() Dim sigma As String sigma = ChrW(931) Cells(5, 3).Value = sigma End Sub Sub inputSigma() Dim sigma As String sigma = ChrW(963) Cells(6, 3).Value = sigma End Sub
- Later, click the Save icon.
- Pick cell C5, then go to Macros.
- The Macros window will pop up.
- Select inputCapsSigma and then click Run.
- Thus, it will produce the intended outcome.
- Choose cell C6 followed by Macro to open the window.
- At this time, pick inputSigma and later tap Run.
- We will get our desired output.
Download Practice Workbook
Obtain a free copy of the sample workbook utilized during the session.
You can insert the sigma symbol into Excel by following the methods we just covered. On our website, there are other articles similar to this one. Continue using them, and let us know if you have additional methods or fresh ideas for completing the task. Please leave any questions, remarks, or recommendations in the space below.