Making mark sheets in Excel is quite easier and smarter because we can use functions here to avoid repetitive tasks and apply conditional formatting to highlight specific results. Just by changing the roll number, we can get all the information at once. So, in this tutorial, we are giant to show the procedures to make an automatic marksheet in Excel with some easy steps and clear illustrations.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel workbook from here and practice independently.
Easy Steps to Make Automatic Marksheet in Excel
First, get introduced to our dataset which has two sheets. Sheet1 contains the personal details, numbers, and grading of each student.
And Sheet2 contains the mark sheet template. We inserted a bold outside border to create a better look for the mark sheet.
Step 1: Insert Personal Details
The first part of our marksheet contains the personal details of a student. We’ll insert the roll, class, and session manually and the other information will be returned using the VLOOKUP function.
- Firstly, insert a roll number in Cell E8. I inserted 1.
- Then insert the following formula in Cell E9 to get the corresponding student name-
- Next, hit the ENTER button for the output.
- After that, apply the same type of formula using the VLOOKUP function again in Cell G8 and G9 to return the date of birth and father’s name. The formula is quite similar to the previous one, just the column index number of the array will be different according to the date of birth and father’s name.
Then you will get the personal details part of the mark sheet like the image below.
Read More: How to Calculate Letter Grades in Excel (6 Simple Ways)
Step 2: Insert Obtained Marks
Now we’ll extract the obtained marks in every subject for every student using the VLOOKUP function again to make an automatic marksheet in Excel.
- In Cell F12, type the following formula to get the obtained marks in English-
- Later, press the ENTER button for the output.
- Next, use the same type of VLOOKUP formula to get the numbers in the other subjects. Just we’ll have to change the column index number according to the subject name in the array of sheet 1.
Here are all of our obtained numbers for roll number 1.
Read More: How to Make a Grade Calculator in Excel (2 Suitable Ways)
Step 3: Apply Conditional Formatting
At this moment, we’ll apply conditional formatting to the obtained marks to highlight if the numbers return to the failed range.
- Select the cells and click as follows: Home > Conditional Formatting > Highlight Cells Rules > Less Than.
- Insert the minimum passing number in the first box and select your desired highlight color from the second dropdown box.
- Finally, just press OK.
Now see, the numbers are highlighted with our selected color.
Read More: How to Apply Percentage Formula in Excel for Marksheet (7 Applications)
Step 4: Insert Subjectwise Grade
The next step is to create the grade for every subject in our automatic mark sheet. Here we’ll use the IF function.
- Apply the following formula in Cell G12–
- Then just hit the ENTER button.
- Next, use the Fill Handle tool to copy the formula for the other cells.
Soon you will get all the grades for roll number 1.
Read More: How to Calculate Grade Percentage in Excel (3 Easy Ways)
Step 5: Calculate Total Marks
In this section, we’ll calculate the total marks, total passing marks, and total obtained marks using the SUM function.
- To get the total marks of all subjects, insert the following formula in Cell E18–
- Next, press the ENTER button just.
- After that, find out the total passing marks, and total obtained marks using the same type of formula.
Read More: Calculate Grade Using IF function in Excel (with Easy Steps)
Step 6: Calculate Result
We reached our final step to create an automatic marksheet in Excel- calculating the final result of a student. We’ll calculate the obtained percentage, result as remark, and final grade.
- First, we’ll calculate the percentage. So insert the following formula in Cell G19–
- Later, just hit the ENTER button.
- To get the result as the student passed or failed, apply the following formula using the IF function-
- And press the ENTER button then.
- Finally, to calculate the grade, use the following formula in Cell G20–
- Press the ENTER button to finish.
- The automatic mark sheet is created successfully and completely ready. Now if we just insert any roll number, it will show the corresponding detailed result of the student. I inserted roll number 3 and see, it created the mark sheet automatically for the corresponding student-
Read More: How to Calculate Subject Wise Pass or Fail with Formula in Excel
Things to Remember
- Make sure you have closed the brackets for the IF
- Make sure you have used double quotes (” “) while specifying any text in the functions like “Passed,” “Fail,” etc.
That’s all for the article. I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to make an automatic mark sheet in Excel. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback. Visit ExcelDemy to explore more.