CSV files are comma-separated values files, and can be used to store tabular data. They can be opened in text editors like Notepad, or in spreadsheet programs like Microsoft Excel. CSV files are often used to share data between different software applications. We can make a compilation of multiple CSV files by merging them. In this article, I am going to explain 2 easy ways on how to merge CSV files in Excel. I hope it will be very helpful for you if you are looking for a simple and easy, yet effective way to merge CSV files in Excel.
For more clarification, I have created 3 CSV files first with the squad list of team Australia, England, and South Africa for the ongoing t20 world cup.
I have arranged the detailed information of each player in the Player, Date of Birth, Batting, Bowling style, and Domestic team columns. This pattern is followed in all these 3 CSV files.
How to Merge CSV Files in Excel: 2 Easy Ways
In spite of keeping the data in multiple CSV files, we can keep all of them in one just by merging them. In the below section, I will discuss 2 of these methods. Follow the order please to execute them perfectly.
1. Merging CSV Files with Command Prompt
By defining the correct command from the Command Prompt, we can merge CSV files. The detailed procedure is listed below.
- First of all, click on Copy Path from the ribbon under the File tab to define the CSV files’ location.
- Then, open the Command Prompt.
- Input the file path that was copied before and write cd infront of it.
- Next, press ENTER.
- After that, define the merged file’s name that will generate later. In my case I named it Combined Team Lists.
- Followingly, hit ENTER.
Then, we will see the confirmation writing on the prompt.
- Close the prompt and go to the folder that is defined.
We will be able to see the merged CSV files with our defined name.
If we open the merged file, we will be able to see the merged data inside it.
2. Use of Power Query to Combine CSV Files
Power Query is the simplest way to merge CSV files. You will find it in the following section.
- Go to the Data tab First.
- From there, follow the following order:
- After that, define the folder name and click on Open.
A new window will open.
- From the Combine drop-down box, click on Combine & Load.
Then, you will find a specimen of merged files.
- Click on OK to finish the process.
Finally, you will have a merged CSV file on the worksheet.
Download Practice Workbook
At the end of this article, I like to add that I have tried to explain 2 of the simplest ways on how to merge CSV files in Excel. It will be a matter of great pleasure for me if this article could help any Excel user even a little. For any further queries, comment below. You can visit our site for more articles about using Excel.