While using an Excel Pie Chart, showing the percentage in data labels helps us to understand the difference between the sectors at a glance, also it can give a better look of the chart. So in this article, I’ll show 3 useful methods to show the percentage in the data labels of the Excel Pie Chart with clear steps and vivid illustrations.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel workbook from here and practice on your own.
3 Ways to Show Pie Chart Data Labels in Percentage in Excel
First of all, get introduced to our dataset that represents the quarterly sold units of a product. I have inserted a Pie Chart using this dataset.
1. Using Chart Style to Show Percentage in Pie Chart Data Labels
At first, we’ll learn one of the easiest methods to show the percentage in the data labels of the Excel Pie Chart. Nothing, we’ll just change the chart design to a specific design that has built-in percentage data labels in it.
- Select the chart by clicking anywhere on it.
- Next, click on the Chart Styles icon.
- Then select a chart style from the appeared list that has percentage labels. I selected Style 3.
You can do the same thing using another way.
- Click on the Chart Design ribbon and then you will get the same chart styles under this ribbon.
Now see, this chart design is showing the data labels in percentage.
Read More: How to Show Percentage and Value in Excel Pie Chart
2. Applying Quick Layout to Display Percentage in Data Labels of Pie Chart
There’s another quick way to display the percentage in the data labels which is using the Quick Layout command.
- Firstly, click as follows: Chart Design > Quick Layout.
- Then select a layout that has data labels in percentage. I chose Layout 1.
Then you will see that the layout is showing the percentage in data labels along with the chart title.
Read More: Excel Pie Chart Labels on Slices: Add, Show & Modify Factors
- How to Make a Pie Chart in Excel without Numbers (2 Effective Ways)
- Make Multiple Pie Charts from One Table (3 Easy Ways)
- How to Create a Pie Chart in Excel from Pivot Table (2 Quick Ways)
- Group Small Values in Excel Pie Chart (2 Suitable Examples)
- How to Explode Pie Chart in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
3. Using Format Data Labels to Show Data Labels in Percentage
The above methods are quicker but there were fewer customizations. Excel has an option named Format Data Labels, by using it we can set percentage format in the data labels, also it has some useful customizations. We can use it in two ways. First, we’ll add the data labels, and then we’ll change the data labels to percentage format.
3.1. Using Chart Elements Option
In this action, we’ll use the Chart Elements option which you will get with your Pie chart.
- Click anywhere on the Pie Chart, and the Chart Elements icon will appear on the right side.
- Next, click on it and then click on the right arrow icon beside the Data Labels option.
- Later, select More Options from the appeared menu.
Soon after, you will get the Format Data Labels field on the right side of your sheet.
- Finally, just mark the Percentage option from the Label Options.
Now have a look, the chart is showing the percentages along with the values in the data labels.
3.2. Using Context Menu
Now we’ll add the data labels from the context menu and then will format the data labels in percentages.
- Right-click your mouse on any slice of the Pie Chart.
- After that, select Add Data Labels from the context menu.
- The data labels are added now, right click on any data label.
- Then select Format Data Labels from the appeared context menu, soon the Format Data Labels field will appear.
- Or you can double click on any data label to open the Format Data Labels field directly.
- Then just mark the Percentage option from the Label Options.
Then you will get the data labels like the image below.
Read More: How to Make a Pie Chart with Multiple Data in Excel (2 Ways)
How to Format Percentage in Data Labels
The above methods will not show the percentages in decimals, those will avoid the fractional part. But we can change it and set the decimal places.
- Follow the first five steps from the immediate previous section to open the Format Data Labels
- Then click on the Number option.
- Next, select the Percentage option from the Category drop-down box and set the decimal places. I inserted 1 in the Decimal Places box.
Now see, it is showing the percentages including the specified decimal values.
Read More: Add Labels with Lines in an Excel Pie Chart (with Easy Steps)
That’s all for the article. I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to show the percentage in the data labels of the Excel Pie Chart. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback. Visit ExcelDemy to explore more.
- How to Edit Legend of a Pie Chart in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
- How to Make a Pie Chart in Excel with Words (with Easy Steps)
- [Solved]: Excel Pie Chart Not Grouping Data (with Easy Fix)
- How to Make Pie Chart in Excel with Subcategories (2 Quick Methods)
- How to Create a 3D Pie Chart in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- [Fixed] Excel Pie Chart Leader Lines Not Showing