In this article, we will provide 3 solutions to the ‘Excel formula bar not showing text’ problem. Generally, when you click a cell in your Excel worksheet, the formula bar shows the text that the cell contains. But, sometimes, the formula bar does not display any text. Today, we will demonstrate three solutions that you can use when the Excel formula bar is not showing text.
What Is the Purpose of a Formula Bar?
An Excel formula bar is used to enter a formula in a cell. It also displays the content of the cell. If a cell contains any formula, then it will display the formula. But if a cell contains any text, it will display the text.
Formula Bar Not Showing Text in Excel: 3 Possible Solutions
1. Use Review Tab When Formula Bar Not Showing Text in Excel
In the first solution, we will use the Review tab when the Excel formula bar is not showing text. This problem can arise when the cells are locked and hidden. The sheets that contain locked and hidden cells are usually protected. To explain the solution, we will use a dataset that contains information about the department of some employees.
In our dataset, the formula bar does not show any text if we select any cell in the Department column. Here, we have selected Cell C7.
Let’s follow the steps to fix the problem.
- In the first place, go to the Review tab and select Unprotect Sheet.
- After selecting Unprotected Sheet, it will change to Protect Sheet.
- After that, select Cell C7.
- Finally, you will see the formula bar showing text.
- Sometimes, your Excel sheet can be protected with a password.
- In that case, if you click Unprotect Sheet, it will ask for the password.
- Then, you need to enter the password to unprotect the sheet.
2. Expand the Excel Formula Bar When It Is Not Showing Text
If your cell is not protected, then there can be another reason for this problem. In this case, the formula bar will show only a part of the text or display nothing. This can happen if we use a line break in the cell. To explain the solution, we will use a dataset that contains the full names of some sellers. But the formula bar shows only the first name.
Let’s observe the steps below to solve the problem.
- To display the full name, search for the drop-down icon on the right side of the formula bar.
- After that, select the drop-down icon.
- The formula bar will expand.
- Finally, you will see results like the picture below.
NOTE: You can also expand the formula bar by dragging or pressing the Ctrl + Shift + U keys from the keyboard.
3. Fix Formula Bar Not Showing Text with ‘Find & Select’ Option
We can use the ‘Find & Select’ option to fix the ‘Excel formula bar not showing text’ problem. We can use this solution if the problem occurs because of the line break. Here, we will use the ‘Find & Select’ option to remove the line breaks so that the formula bar displays the whole text. Again, we will use the previous dataset.
Let’s pay attention to the steps below to learn the solution.
- Firstly, go to the Home tab and select the ‘Find & Select’ option. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Secondly, select Replace from the drop-down menu.
- After selecting Replace, the Find and Replace window will appear.
- You can press the Ctrl + H key to get the Find and Replace window.
- Now, the most important thing is to press Ctrl + J in the Find what field.
- You will not see anything in the Find what field, but it will enter some special characters.
- After that, select the Replace with field and press the Space key.
- Then, click Replace All.
- After clicking Replace All, you will see a message like below.
- Click OK to proceed.
- Finally, the line breaks will be removed from the sheet, and you will see results like below.
Read More: [Fixed!] Formula Bar Is Not Showing in Excel
Things to Remember
There are certain things we need to remember when we are trying to fix the ‘Excel formula bar not showing text’ problem.
- Sometimes, in Method-3, the solution may not work. In that case, you need to close the Excel file and re-open it.
- You need to first understand the reason behind the problem and then apply the methods.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book here.
We demonstrated three easy ways to solve the ‘Excel Formula Bar Not Showing Text’ problem. I hope these solutions will help you to perform your tasks perfectly. Furthermore, we have also added the practice book at the beginning of the article. Download it to practice more. Last of all, if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to ask in the comment section.