In Microsoft Excel, a defined name is a name that can be a single cell, range of cells, constant value, or formula. You can easily edit defined names by following the simple way below.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with it.
Steps to Edit Defined Names in Excel
In the following picture, there are 3 separate columns with some random names, their genders, and ages. All of the sections have been defined with different names that can be found in the Name Box or Name Manager. Let’s say we want to edit the name of a cell range that contains all the names only.
Step 1: Launch the Name Manager Window in Excel
The Name Manager tool is generally used to define, find, edit or delete a named range. Let’s see how we can use this tremendous tool to edit a defined name for a range.
- First, go to the Formulas tab.
- Next click on Name Manager from the Defined Names group.
The Name Manager window will open up.
Related Content: How to Delete Named Range Excel (3 Methods)
Step 2: Select the Defined Names That You Want to Edit in Excel
In the Name Manager window, all the defined names from any worksheet will be visible to us. From this section, we have to select a named range and move to edit the name, formula or range location.
- Since we want to edit the defined name with the title ‘Nam’, choose the corresponding row in the following window.
Related Content: How to Name a Range in Excel (5 Easy Tricks)
Step 3: Edit the Defined Names
- Now click on the Edit button. This will open a pop-up window.
- Then, Edit the defined name.
- Click on the OK button. This will change the defined name.
Related Content: How to Edit Named Range in Excel
After closing the window, you’ll find the selected name replaced by the one newly defined.
By following the steps, you can easily edit the defined names in your Excel workbook. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback please let us know in the comment section. Or you can have a glance at our other articles in the ExcelDemy.com blog!
- How to Name a Group of Cells in Excel (3 Methods +1 Bonus)
- Dynamic Named in Range Excel (Both One and Two Dimensional)
- How to Use Named Range in Excel VBA (2 Ways)
- Cannot Edit Excel File in Protected View (3 Reasons with Solutions)
- How to Edit Name Box in Excel (Edit, Change Range and Delete)
- Edit Cell in Excel with Keyboard (4 Handy Methods)
- How to Edit a Cell in Excel without Double Clicking (3 Easy Ways)