In Microsoft Excel, a defined name is a name that can be a single cell, range of cells, constant value, or formula. In this article, we will walk you through three easy steps to demonstrate how to edit defined names in Excel. Here’s an overview of editing defined names in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with it.
Step-by-Step Procedures to Edit Defined Names in Excel
In the following picture, there are 3 separate columns with some random names, their genders, and ages. All of the sections have been defined with different names that can be found in the Name Box or Name Manager. Let’s say we want to edit the name of a cell range that contains all the names only.
Step 1: Launch the Name Manager Window in Excel
The Name Manager tool is generally used to define, find, edit or delete a named range. Therefore, we will use this tremendous tool to edit a defined name for a range.
- First of all, go to the Formulas tab.
- Then, click on Name Manager from the Defined Names group.
- As a result, the Name Manager window will open up.
Related Content: How to Delete Named Range Excel (3 Methods)
Step 2: Select the Defined Names That You Want to Edit in Excel
In the Name Manager window, all the defined names from any worksheet will be visible to us. From this section, we have to select a named range and move to edit the name, formula or range location.
- Since we want to edit the defined name with the title “Nam”, choose the corresponding row in the following window.
Related Content: How to Name a Range in Excel (5 Easy Tricks)
Step 3: Edit the Defined Names
- First, click on the Edit button.
- As a result, a pop-up window will appear.
- Then, Edit the defined name.
- After that, click on the OK button.
- Hence, the defined name will be changed.
Related Content: How to Edit Named Range in Excel
Finally, after closing the window, you’ll find the selected name replaced by the one newly defined.
By following the steps, now you know how to edit the defined names in Excel. Hope this will help you! Please let us know in the comment section if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback. Or you can have a glance at our other articles in the ExcelDemy blog!
- How to Name a Group of Cells in Excel (3 Methods +1 Bonus)
- Dynamic Named in Range Excel (Both One and Two Dimensional)
- How to Use Named Range in Excel VBA (2 Ways)
- Cannot Edit Excel File in Protected View (3 Reasons with Solutions)
- How to Edit Name Box in Excel (Edit, Change Range and Delete)
- Edit Cell in Excel with Keyboard (4 Handy Methods)
- How to Edit a Cell in Excel without Double Clicking (3 Easy Ways)