Average estimation is a very common factor in our everyday life. In the business section, it is an important factor to summarize the production or sales over a certain period. I am going to discuss about 5 simple approaches on how to calculate Average sales in Excel.
For more clarification, I am going to use a Dataset with Serial No, Sales Representatives, and Sales columns.
Download Practice Workbook
5 Simple Approaches to Calculate Average Sales in Excel
1. Applying Average Command to Calculate Average Sales
Using the Average command from the Home tab is the simplest way to calculate Average sales in Excel.
- First of all, select a cell to find the Average (i.e. D12).
- Next, go to the Home tab.
- From there, click on the AutoSum options from the ribbon.
- Then, choose the Average command.
- Sequentially, select the range (i.e. D5:D10).
- Finally, press ENTER and we have our Average Sales.
2. Using AVERAGE Function to Calculate Average Sales
We can use the AVERAGE Function to determine the Average Sales. It is one of the simplest ways to calculate Average Sales.
- Pick a cell first (i.e. D12).
- Input the following formula:
Here, the AVERAGE Function is applied to calculate the average value between cells D5 to D10.
- Hit ENTER to finish the process.
Thus, we can calculate average sales in Excel.
- Forecast Sales Growth Rate in Excel (6 Methods)
- Calculate Sales Growth Percentage in Excel (2 Easy Approaches)
- How to Calculate Percentage of Sales in Excel (5 Suitable Methods)
3. Arithmetic Formula to Calculate Average Sales
Average is actually the median value of a set of data. Mathematically, it is calculated by dividing the sum of some data by the number of data. We can use this arithmetic formula to calculate average sales.
- Choose a cell for the calculation (i.e. D12).
- Apply the following formula:
Here, the average sales is calculated by dividing the summation of cells D5:D10 by the number of cells added.
- Now, press ENTER to have the output.
4. Applying AVERAGEIF Functions to Calculate Average Sales
AVERAGEIF is another effective function with that we can calculate the average under certain conditions.
- Select a cell for calculation (i.e. D12).
- Now, input the formula mentioned below:
=AVERAGEIF(D5:D10, "April", E5:E10)
Here, I have calculated the sales average for April month.
- Hit ENTER.
Now, we have the average of the sales in April month.
5. Calculating Monthwise Average Sales
The month-wise average sales is another very beneficial and common form of pattern used in industries. We can also calculate average sales through this pattern.
- Use the following formula to calculate average sales month-wise:
Here, the Total sales value of 2016 in cell D5 is divided by the number of months in a year.
- Now, press ENTER.
For more expertise, you can practice here.
In this article, I have tried to articulate 5 simple approaches on how to calculate Average sales in Excel. I hope it will be helpful for all. For any further questions, comment below. For more information regarding Excel, you can visit our Exceldemy site.