In Excel, you need to work with a set of data. Sometimes, errors may occur in data entry. So, you need to check for data entry errors to fix the error data and make a perfect dataset. In this article, I will show you how to check for data entry errors in Excel. I will show two easy ways here. The methods are suitable and handy. Hopefully, you will have fun learning the procedures. Additionally, I have added the necessary images for your better understanding. Let’s follow the procedure step-by-step.
How to Check for Data Entry Errors in Excel: 2 Effective Ways
For this article, I will consider the following dataset called Customer Information of ABC Co. The dataset has four columns B, C, D, and E called ID, Name, Location, and Product. The dataset ranges from B4 to E10 cells. As you can see, the dataset has some errors in entries. I will check for data entry errors. So, here, I will show how to check for data entry errors in Excel in two suitable ways.
1. Use Data Validation to Check for Data Entry Errors in Excel
This is the first method of this article. Here I will use the Data Validation process to fix data entry errors in Excel. Please follow the procedures step by step. You can get a clear idea of every step from the additional images.
- Select the data table from B4 to B10.
- From your toolbar, select the Data Validation option under the Home tab.
- Then, Select Any value from the Allow drop-down menu.
- Then, select the Decimal option.
- After that, enter the Minimum value of 1000 and the Maximum value of 10000.
- As a result, now, if you want to enter an ID less than 1000, Excel will show you this disclaimer.
This is how you can avoid errors by using data validations.
Read More: How to Restrict Data Entry in Excel Cell
2. Check for Data Entry Errors in Excel by Using Sort and Filter Options
This is the second and last method of this article. This is another method to check for data entry errors in Excel. I will use the sort and filter options here. Follow the procedure step by step. I hope this will increase your Excel skills.
- First, select the dataset ranging from B4 to E10.
- Then, in your toolbar, select the Home tab.
- After that, select the Sort & Filter options in the editing part.
- Additionally, select the Filter option here.
- Then a filter arrow will be shown beside the heading of every column.
- After that, click on the arrow beside the location heading, and locate the errors.
- Then, fix the errors.
- As a result, you will find the following corrected results.
Things to Remember
- For the second method, you can locate the error by filtering a column only. For every column, you need to filter separately.
Download Practice Workbook
Please download the workbook to practice yourself.
In this article, I have explained how to check for data entry errors in Excel. I hope you have learned something new from this article. Now, extend your skill by following the steps of these methods. I hope you have enjoyed the whole tutorial. If you have any queries, please ask me in the comment section. Don’t forget to give us your feedback.
- Types of Data Entry in Excel
- How to Automate Data Entry in Excel
- How to Create a Data Log in Excel
- Excel Data Entry Practice Exercises PDF
- How to Automatically Insert Timestamp Data Entries in Excel
- How to Record Time of Data Entry in Excel