This article illustrates how to add radio buttons in excel. The radio buttons, usually known as option buttons, let users choose from different options. It is a control that enables us to pick a single option from a limited set of mutually exclusive options.
Radio buttons are used extensively almost everywhere. In Excel, selecting a radio button from a group of them will return the order of the button in that group. You can link the radio buttons to a cell to get the return in that cell and then use the reference of the linked cell in logical functions to get the desired results. Follow the article to learn how to add radio buttons in Excel.
There are 2 basic ways to add radio buttons in Excel. Now we will discuss them in detail.
1. Adding Radio Buttons Using Option Button (Form Control) Command
Follow the steps below to add radio buttons without any macros using the Form Control command in Excel.
- First, you need to add the Developer tab in Ribbon. Then select Developer >> Insert >> Option Button (Form Controls).
- Next, drag the cursor as required to insert a properly sized radio button.
- After that, you will see the following result. You can drag the small circles to resize the button.
- Now right-click on the radio button and select Edit Text.
- Then you can rename the radio button as required.
- Next, right-click on the radio button and select Format Control.
- Next, enter a cell reference to link the radio button to the cell from the Control tab. You can also mark or unmark the radio button by selecting Checked or Unchecked respectively. You can also edit the radio button as required from different tabs in the Format Control dialog box.
- Now if you mark the radio button, it will return a 1 in the linked cell.
- How to Make a Calculate Button in Excel
- Radio Button in Excel Without Macro
- How to Clear Cells in Excel with Button
- How to Create Button to Link to Another Sheet in Excel
- How to Edit a Macro Button in Excel
- How to Use Option Button in Excel
- How to Create & Apply Option Button Click Event in Excel VBA
- How to Set Option Button Value in Excel VBA
2. Inserting Option Buttons in Excel with Macro
Follow the steps below to insert an Option Button with a macro in Excel.
- First, select the Developer >> Insert >> option Button (ActiveX Controls).
- Then drag the mouse as earlier to insert the radio button. After that, you will see the following result.
- Now, right-click on the radio button while in Design Mode and select Properties.
- Then, you can edit all the properties as required from the Properties window.
- Next, right-click on the radio button and select View Code. This will automatically insert a private subroutine procedure in the worksheet module.
- Now, copy the following code and paste it inside the subroutine procedure.
Range("D3").Interior.Color = vbGreen
- Then uncheck Design Mode and mark the radio button to see the following result.
Read More: How to Create a Macro Button in Excel
How to Add Multiple Radio Buttons in Excel
Follow the steps below to add multiple radio buttons in excel.
- First, insert a radio button by selecting Developer >> Insert >> Option Button (Form Controls) as earlier.
- Then, select the radio button in design mode and press CTRL+C to copy it.
- Next, press CTRL+V or CTRL+ D as many times as the number of radio buttons needed.
- Alternatively, select the cell that surrounds the radio button. Then drag the fill handle icon to copy the radio button as many times as required.
Read More: How to Create Button Without Macro in Excel
How to Group Radio Buttons in Excel
You can select only one radio button in each worksheet. This is not desired at all if you need to allow your users to choose from several types of options. Assume you have created 15 questions for a survey. Each of the questions has a different number of options to choose from. Then you must group the radio buttons for each question separately. Follow the steps below to learn how to do that.
- First, select Developer >> Insert >> Group Box (Form Control) as shown below.
- Then drag the mouse around the radio buttons that you want to group together.
- After that, you can select a radio button from each group as shown below.
How to Delete/ Unmark Radio Buttons in Excel
Follow the steps below to delete or unmark the radio buttons in Excel.
- First, click on Design Mode in the Developer Then select the radio button that you want to delete.
- Now press the Delete key on the keyboard. After that, the radio button will be deleted.
- You need to mark the radio button for Unchecked in the Format Control dialog box to unmark a radio button created using the Form Controls command.
- On the other hand, you need to set the Value property to False in the Properties window if the radio button is created using the ActiveX Controls command.
Read More: How to Remove a Form Control in Excel
Things to Remember
- You must enable Design Mode in the Developer tab to be able to edit the radio buttons.
- Don’t forget to save the workbook as a macro-enable workbook if you applied macros to the radio buttons.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from the download button below.
Now you know how to add radio buttons in Excel. Do you have any further queries or suggestions? Please let us know in the comment section below. Stay with us and keep learning.
- How to Add Up and Down Buttons in Excel
- How to Add Command Button Programmatically with Excel VBA
- How to Use VBA Code for Submit Button in Excel
- How to Change Cell Value Using Toggle Button in Excel
- How to Change Color of Toggle Button When Pressed in Excel
- How to Create Chart Slider in Excel
- How to Make Games in Excel