If you are looking for how to add an option button in Excel, then you are in the right place. In our practical life, we often need to use the option button to select the best suitable option for our activities. In this article, we’ll try to discuss how to add an option button in Excel in a step-by-step approach.
Download Practice Workbook
Why Adding Option Button Is Necessary?
Option buttons are a common input control in forms. When there are many options, and the user needs to select only one option then the option button is especially useful there. Different projects having different methods to consider, in case of export-import, publishing students’ marks or any other practical sectors option button is needed to select the most suitable one and proceed thereby.
4 Steps to Add Option Button in Excel
Excel offers some simple steps which cover adding option buttons as well as binding them to cells or grouping them. We have made the following dataset named List of Fruits in Two Stores to explain those steps.
Step 01: Activate Developer Tab
In the initial step, we need to activate the Developer tab in Excel if we don’t have it activated. The Developer tab is useful for running VBA code, using form controls, ActiveX controls and so on. But is not available in the ribbon tabs by default. Therefore, you need to activate the tab.
- Firstly, go to File.
- Secondly, go to Options.
- An Excel Option window will appear.
- Thirdly, select Customize Ribbon > select Developer > click OK.
- Eventually, we’ll see that the Developer tab is added in the Excel file.
Read More: How to Create & Apply Option Button Click Event in Excel VBA
Step 02: Insert Option Button
The main step is to insert an option button. We need to add option buttons in cells C5:C9 and C12:C13 of the following dataset.
- Firstly, go to Developer tab > click Insert > select the Option Button Icon in the Form Controls
- Eventually, we’ll see the cursor as a plus.
- Secondly, place the cursor in the desired location, create a box surrounding our desired option Mango and stretch the box according to the requirement.
- Thirdly, click anywhere on the sheet.
- Consequently, we have added the option button.
After adding the option button, we need to clear the additional names inside the button and resize the box to fix our desired name i.e. Mango inside the box.
- Fourthly, to do this, right-click on the option button > choose Edit Text.
- Eventually, the edit mode will be turned on.
- Fifthly, delete the additional name i.e. Option Button.
- Finally, click anywhere on the sheet and thus we have added our option button with desired option like this.
- Similarly, follow the same procedure to add option buttons to all of our options like this.
Read More: How to Insert Excel VBA Radio Button Input Box (3 Easy Methods)
- How to Make a Calculate Button in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- How to Use VBA Code for Submit Button in Excel (with Easy Steps)
- VBA Code for Save Button in Excel (4 Variants)
- How to Clear Cells in Excel with Button (with Detailed Steps)
- How to Hide Columns with Button in Excel (4 Suitable Methods)
Step 03: Bind or Link Option Button to a Cell
We can bind the option buttons to a cell very easily. Suppose we need to bind the following option buttons to a cell.
- Firstly, right-click on any of the option buttons.
- Secondly, select Format Control.
- Eventually, a Format Control window will appear.
- Thirdly, go to Control > select Unchecked > place the desired bounded cell in the Cell link
- Fourthly, click OK.
- Eventually, the option buttons are linked to cell C15. This cell will represent the option button number.
- Here, we have selected the Option Button 3, so the C15 cell is showing 3.
Read More: How to Create Button to Link to Another Sheet in Excel (3 Ways)
Step 04: Group Option Button
We can also group option buttons. Suppose we need to make two groups of the following option buttons like this.
- Firstly, go to Developer > click Insert > choose the Grouping Icon in the Form Controls
- Secondly, stretch the cursor to make a box around the option buttons we want to group. In this case, it is cells C5:C9.
- Thirdly, click anywhere on the sheet and eventually, we have created Group box 1.
- Similarly, create Group box 2 following the same procedure.
- Now, bind Group box 1 to cell F5 and Group box 2 to cell F12.
- Consequently, the two Group boxes will show the different option button numbers for different Group Boxes.
Read More: How to Group Radio Buttons in Excel (2 Simple Methods)
We can add the option button very easily if we study this article properly. Please feel free to visit our official Excel learning platform ExcelDemy for further queries.
- How to Add Button in Excel (3 Handy Ways)
- Change Color of Toggle Button When Pressed in Excel
- How to Change Cell Value Using Toggle Button in Excel
- Add Up and Down Buttons in Excel (2 Suitable Examples)
- How to Remove a Form Control in Excel (3 Quick Ways)
- How to Create Button Without Macro in Excel (3 Easy Ways)