Pie Chart Explosion in Excel is a very useful and popular feature. It is often used to show the portion of different things while representing the whole as a circle. Often we need to separate those portions for better understanding or add labels to them. This separation is called pie explosion. In this article, we will learn how to Explode Pie Chart in Excel.
How to Explode Pie Chart in Excel: 2 Easy Methods
There are two individual methods to explode a pie chart in Excel. Both methods have different applications and benefits. Those methods are step-by-step described below. For example, we have this data showing a person’s spent amount percentage in different fields.
And the corresponding pie chart is also given below.
1. Explode Pie Chart in Excel Using Mouse Cursor
We will follow these steps to explode a pie chart in Excel by dragging with a cursor.
- First, we need to select the pie chart with the mouse cursor.
- Second, try to drag the specific portion away from the pie. In our case, we want to separate the portion of Traveling.
- Finally, drop the portion away from the pie at an expected distance.
That’s how we explode pie very easily. For exploding multiple portions, repeat the exact same process with other portions. Here in our example, we will explode the Traveling, Music, and Electronics portions for instance.
Read More: How to Edit Pie Chart in Excel
2. Use Format Data Series Option to Explode Pie Chart
Excel has a built-in function to explode pie chart. Here we will learn how to explode a pie chart in Excel using the built-in function with the steps below.
- Firstly, we need to select the pie chart and right-click on it.
- Secondly, select the Format Data Series option from the selection options.
- As a result, selecting Format Data Series will open the Format Data Series panel.
- Next, in the panel, we will have an option named Pie Explosion.
- Finally, setting Pie Explosion to different values will give us an exploded pie chart. in our case, we will set it to 20% for example and we will get the following output.
This is how we explode pie charts very easily in Excel.
Read More: How to Rotate Pie Chart in Excel
Things to Remember
- Exploding Pie Charts by Dragging with Cursor scatters the plot portions unevenly. But this method is beneficial when we need to write descriptions beside the pie.
- Using the Format Data Series option gives an evenly separated pie chart. It is visually more appealing and organized.
- Higher percentage values in Pie Explosion may result in shortening the pie portions to maintain distance in the specific chart area.
- These methods are also applicable to 3-D Pie charts as well.
Pie Charts are widely used in different sectors for analyzing and representing portions or percentages. Explosion enables us to separate each portion for visually better understanding and writing about it. This article was about how we can easily explode pie charts in Excel. Finally, if you’re still having trouble with any of these steps, let us know in the comments. Our team is ready to answer all of your questions. If you face any kind of problems in Excel, visit our website Exceldemy for all types of Excel-related problem solutions.