While using the spin button in Excel, users can choose a numerical value from a predetermined range. These buttons appear as scroll bars without the scroll and are made up of double arrows. However, sometimes spin buttons may not work, and thus your work may be disrupted. In this article, we will discuss two reasons and possible solutions if an Excel spin button is not working.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download and practice the dataset that we have used to prepare this article.
2 Reasons with Possible Solutions If Spin Button Is Not Working in Excel
To understand the problem and their solutions clearly, let’s assume we have a dataset, namely “Salary Calculator”. You can use any dataset suitable for you.
Here, we have used the Microsoft Excel 365 version; you may use any other version according to your convenience.
Sometimes it may happen that the scroll bar does not respond. It can occur for many reasons. The unlinked reference cell is one of them; hence, we will now discuss how to fix this issue. Before delving into the solution, first look at the GIF, which we have attached below, to understand the problem briefly.
Solution: Specify the Cell Link from the Format Control Feature
Excel looks perfect when it operates, but can give you utter irritation when it does not. The most annoying part of it is when you don’t understand what the heck is going on, right? As we have already familiarized ourselves with one of the reasons why it does not respond, now we will talk about how to resolve the issue.
- First, right-click on the spin button and then select the Format Control feature.
- Thus, a Format Control dialog box will appear. From the Control tab, select the Upwards arrow to make a cell link.
- Select the cell that you would like to link with the spin button. Click on the downward arrow afterwards.
- Then press the OK button.
- That’s great! See the attachment we have shown below. Now, the spin button is working!
Reason 2: If UserForm Does Not Comply with VBA Code
Another reason why your spin button may not respond is due to disagreement over property values in your UserForm. To aid in this problem, look at the evidence below to understand the nature of the problem first.
Solution: Enable Value from Properties Option in UserForm
Customized interfaces for the users, also known as UserForms, can facilitate data storage, modification, and retrieval by allowing interaction between the database or spreadsheet in Excel. But when your UserForm does not respond, you may follow the process that we are going to describe below.
- Select the Visual Basic feature from the Developer tab.
- Thus, Visual Basic dialog box will appear. Select the UserForm1 to bring the associated dialog box of it.
- Do right-click of your mouse after selecting the UserForm1 dialog box.
- Subsequently, click on the Properties option.
- Now go to the Alphabetic tab and enable the True value.
- Well done! The problem has been fixed. Now see the output as given below.
Things to Remember
- If you rename the SpinButton and TextBox on the UserForm using the Properties window, you must use the same name in the code.
- The maximum numerical value you can input via the SpinButton is 30000. Thus, if your work type demands more than its limiting value, you have to multiply the spin-down value to get your desired value.
We have provided a Practice section on the right side of each sheet so you can practice yourself. Please make sure to do it yourself.
In this article, we have discussed how to fix the issues when your Excel spin button is not working. Though the points we have covered were user-specific issues, you may experience trouble otherwise. So, if you have any queries or any other issues related to this topic, do share them with us, and we will get back to you soon.