In Excel, we work with multiple types of data. Positive numbers and negative numbers are significant when analyzing results. Now, it would be handy, if we could distinguish the positive and negative numbers in a quick look from a large dataset. That’s why we sometimes need to show the negative numbers in brackets and red. In this article, I will show you 2 simple ways to show Excel negative numbers in brackets and red.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download our practice workbook from here for free!
2 Easy Ways to Show Negative Numbers in Brackets and Red Color in Excel
Say, you have a dataset containing 10 numbers where 3 of them are negative. Now, you want to display those 3 negative numbers in brackets and in red color. Follow any of the two simple and quick ways described below to accomplish this.
In this article, we have used the Office 365 version of Microsoft Excel. But, you can use any other version to accomplish your target by following the described ways. If you face any problems regarding versions, please leave us a comment below.
1. Use Built-in Format for Negative Numbers
The easiest and quickest way to show Excel negative numbers in brackets and red is to customize the Number format. Follow the steps below to do this.
- First and foremost, select the cells of the dataset.
- Afterward, right-click on your mouse button.
- Subsequently, choose the Format Cells… option from the context menu.
- As a result, the Format Cells dialogue box will appear.
- Subsequently, go to the Number tab >> choose Number from the Category: pane >> choose the last option (1234.10) from the Negative numbers: pane >> click on the OK button.
Thus, you will see all the negative numbers of your dataset in brackets and red color. For instance, the outcome should look like this.
2. Use Custom Format to Show Negative Numbers in Brackets and Red Color
Another effective way to show Excel negative numbers in brackets and red is to use the Custom format properly. Follow the steps below to do this.
- At the very beginning, select the dataset and right-click on your mouse.
- Afterward, choose the Format Cells… option from the context menu.
- Consequently, the Format Cells dialogue box will appear.
- Following, go to the Number tab >> Custom option from the Category: pane >> type the following format in the Type: text box.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
As a result, you will get all your negative numbers displayed in brackets and red color. And, the output would look like this.
Show Excel Negative Numbers in Red Color with Conditional Formatting
Besides, you can also use conditional formatting to display Excel negative numbers in red color but without brackets. Go through the steps below to achieve this.
- Initially select the dataset.
- Subsequently, go to the Home tab >> Conditional Formatting tool >> Highlight Cells Rules option >> Less Than… option.
- As a result, the Less Than dialogue box will appear.
- Now, put the value 0 in the Format cells that are LESS THAN: text box.
- Following, choose the Red text option from the with options.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
Consequently, all the negative numbers in the dataset will be red in color. And, the result would look like this.
In a nutshell, in this article, I have shown you all the simple and easy ways to show Excel negative numbers in brackets and red. Read the full article carefully and practice accordingly. I hope you find this article helpful and informative. You are very welcome to comment here if you have any further questions or recommendations.
And, visit ExcelDemy to learn about many more Excel problem solutions, tips, and tricks. Thank you!