If you are looking for some special tricks to solve the problem “Excel cursor stuck on the white cross”, you’ve come to the right place. In Microsoft Excel, there are numerous ways to fix this problem. This article will discuss six methods to resolve the problem. Let’s follow the complete guide to learn all of this.
Excel Cursor Is Stuck on White Cross: 6 Possible Solutions
In the following section, we will use six effective and tricky methods to solve the problem “Excel cursor stuck on the white cross”. This section provides extensive details on six methods. You should learn and apply all of these to improve your thinking capability and Excel knowledge.
Solution 1: Enable Drag and Drop Option
If the cursor is stuck on the white cross, we can solve the problem by checking the Enable fill handle and cell drag and drop. To do this we have to follow the following steps.
- First of all, you have to open File > Options.
- When the Excel Options window appears, select Advanced. Then, check Enable fill handle and cell drag and drop.
This method will solve the problem of “Excel cursor stuck on the white cross”.
Solution 2: Change Mouse Settings
Sometimes for some unknown reason enabling the built-in options feature will not solve the problem. In this case, you have to use the control panel. To do this we have to follow the following steps.
- First of all, go to the Control Panel. Then, select Choose mouse settings.
- When the Mouse Properties window appears, then select Pointers. Then, select Normal Select from the Customize options.
This method will help you to solve the problem of “cursor stuck on the white cross”.
Solution 3: Run Excel in Safe Mode
In order to solve this problem, one of the options is to run MS Excel in harmless mode, which allows it to run with restricted features and without adding any Excel add-ins. You have to follow the following process to start Excel in a safe mood.
- First of all, press and hold down the Ctrl key when starting Excel.
- In addition, press Windows +R, type excel.exe/safe, and press Enter.
Solution 4: Repair Microsoft Office
We can also solve the problem by repairing Microsoft 365. To do this you have to follow the following process.
- Firstly, press ‘Windows+R’. Then, type appwiz.cpl. Next, press Enter. Or you can use a direct way to open Programs and Features in the Control panel.
- Right-click on Microsoft 365 and select Change.
Or you can follow the following steps to repair the Microsoft Office.
- To repair, go to Settings from the Windows icon at the bottom-left of your screen.
- Then select Apps.
- After that, click on Apps & Features from the left of the window.
- Then select your Microsoft Office app and click on Modify under it.
- Now click on Yes if a user account control box appears.
- Next, select Quick Repair or Online Repair depending on the one you prefer, and click on Repair.
Solution 5: Disable Extend Selection Mode
Sometimes the problem “Excel cursor stuck on the white cross” occurs if we accidentally press F8. As a consequence, Extend Selection will appear in the Status Bar. To resolve the problem we need to disable the Extend Selection mode. To do this we have to press F8 again. As a result, Extend Selection will disappear from the Status Bar.
Solution 6: Check and Install Latest Updates
If any of the above steps aren’t working try searching for Microsoft Office updates and stay up to date with the software. Sometimes the little bugs and irregularities get eliminated by new updates. Then again, if you are up to date with the updates, then it might be time for a clean reinstallation of the software. By installing the updated version we can solve the problem. To install the updated version you have to follow the following process.
- Firstly, in Excel you have to open File > Account.
- Next, select Update Options, and click on Update Now.
That’s the end of today’s session. I strongly believe that from now on, you may solve the problem ‘Excel cursor stuck on the white cross”. If you have any queries or recommendations, please share them in the comments section below.
- How to Move Cursor in Excel Cell
- Excel Cursor Movement: Logical vs Visual
- How to Change Cursor Color in Excel
- How to Highlight with Cursor in Excel
- [Fixed!] Excel Cursor Locked in Select Mode
- [Fixed!] Excel Cursor Stuck in Drag Mode