Sometimes, the cursor changes in Excel to a white plus sign. As a result, we can’t autofill other cells. The cursor also doesn’t change due to this problem. In this article, we will provide the solution for the Excel cursor changed to a plus sign problem. We will also discuss the way to change the cursor types and their movement direction. So, without further delay, let’s start the discussion.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book here.
Step-by-Step Solution for Excel Cursor Changed to Plus Sign
To explain the steps of the solution, we will use a dataset that contains information about the sales amount for the first two months. In the dataset, we have calculated the sum of the sales amount in Cell E6.
Now, if we try to autofill the formula, the cursor doesn’t change to a black plus sign. Rather it stays as a white plus sign.
For that reason, you can’t copy the formula in the other cells and it becomes a problem. To see the solution to the problem, follow the steps below carefully.
STEP 1: Open Excel Options Window
- In the first step, you need to open the Excel Options window.
- To do so, click on the File tab.
- After that, select Options from the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Instantly, the Excel Options window will appear.
STEP 2: Enable Fill Handle and Cell Drag-and-Drop
- In the second step, we will enable the fill handle and cell drag-and-drop option.
- For that purpose, select Advanced in the Excel Options window.
- Then, check the ‘Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop’ option.
- After that, click OK to proceed.
STEP 3: Use Cursor to Apply Changes in Excel Sheet
- Now, put the cursor at the bottom right side of Cell E6. The cursor will change into a small black plus sign.
- In the end, double–click the black plus sign, and you will see results like the picture below.
How to Change Cursor Types in Excel
In this section, we will show how you change the cursor in Excel. There are different types of cursors in Excel and their purposes are different. To show these cursors, we will use the previous dataset. Let’s follow the steps below to know more about the cursors.
- First of all, put the cursor anywhere inside the sheet. It will look like a fat white plus sign.
- This is the general pointer in Excel. It is used for selecting cells. You can select a single or a group of cells using this cursor.
- Secondly, select a cell and put the cursor at the bottom right corner of the cell. The cursor will change into a black plus sign.
- It is called the Fill Handle. It is used for copying formulas or extending data series.
- In the third step, hover the cursor on any side of a selected group of cells. The cursor will change into a white arrow with a smaller 4-headed arrow.
- You can use this cursor to move the cells from one position to another.
- After that, take the cursor inside the formula bar. It will change into a capital ‘I’ symbol.
- We use this cursor to edit the cell contents in the formula bar.
- Again, put the cursor on any toolbar or option. This time it will change into a regular windows pointer.
- Use this pointer to select the options and tabs in the ribbon.
- In the end, if you hover the cursor in between two columns or rows, it will change into a 2-headed arrow. We use this cursor to adjust column width or row height.
How to Change Cursor Movement Direction in Excel
In Excel, the selection generally moves down after pressing Enter. But following a few steps, we can change the cursor movement direction very easily. Let’s observe the steps below to know the trick.
- In the beginning, click on the File tab.
- Then, select Options on the bottom left corner of the screen. It will open the Excel Options window.
- In the Excel Options window, select Advanced.
- After that, select different directions in the ‘After pressing Enter, move selection’ section.
- Finally, click OK to close the window.
In this article, we have discussed the solution to the ‘Excel Cursor Changed to Plus Sign’ problem. I hope the solution will help you to fix your problem. Moreover, we have also demonstrated how you can change the cursor and its direction of movement. Furthermore, you can also download the practice book to test your skills. Last of all, if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to ask in the comment section.