Data labels aid readers in understanding a chart’s contents because they provide details about a data series or its individual data points. If your chart features chart titles (the name of the chart), axis titles (the titles displayed on a chart’s x, y, or z axis), and data labels (the labels that provide additional information about a particular data point on the chart), you can edit the titles and labels on your chart. Sometimes, your data labels contain numbers you want to express in thousands. In this article, we’re going to show you some easy and straightforward steps to change the data labels in thousands in an Excel chart. Let’s get started.
How to Edit Data Labels in Excel
You can edit the data labels in 6 ways. You can also customize the data labels in Excel. To do this, you have to select the data labels first. After selecting the data labels, go to format data labels.
- Consequently, the Format Data Labels appear. Choose Fill from the Fill & Line command.
- From there, you need to choose the Solid fill, then pick a Color of your preference.
Finally, you have edited your data labels just like the image below.
How to Show the Data Labels in Thousands in Excel Chart: 4 Steps
For showing the data labels in thousands, we have taken a dataset of “Date-wise Sales” of “Sales Rep”. We want to create a chart from this data. Also, we want to show the data labels in thousands.
Not to mention, we have used the Microsoft 365 version. You can use any other version at your convenience.
Step 1: Create a Chart
- To show the data labels in thousands, firstly you need to create a chart in Excel.
- To do this, select the entire column range with whom you want to make the chart.
- Consequently, go to the Insert tab >> Insert Column or Bar chart dropdown >> pick Clustered Column.
Eventually, your chart will look like the image below.
Step 2: Add Data Label
- At this moment, you need to show the data labels.
- To do this operation, click on the chart >> move to the Chart Elements >> check the Data Labels option.
Finally, the data labels are shown but these are not in thousands format. We will fix that in the next steps.
Read More: How to Add Data Labels in Excel
Step 3: Format Data Labels
- Additionally, right-click on any of the data labels and select the Format Data Labels option.
Step 4: Use of Custom Code in Label Option
- Subsequently, the Format Data Labels window appears. From the Label Options, move to the Number.
- Then, select the Category as Custom in the Number option. Add the following input as Format Code. It will be automatically placed in the Type option.
Finally, the data labels are converted into thousands, just like in the image below.
How to Show Numbers in Thousands on an Excel Chart
You can also make your dataset have thousands of rows. To do this, follow the below steps.
- Firstly, right-click on any cell of the data and select Format Cells.
Note: The Format Cells option is accessible by pressing CTRL + 1 on the keyboard.
- Eventually, the Format Cells dialog box appears. From there, choose Custom as the Category. Make the Type as
- Press OK.
Finally, the dataset values are displayed in the form of thousands.
Lastly, select the data and plot a chart, where the data labels are in thousands (see the image).
We have provided a practice section on each sheet on the right side for your practice. Please do it by yourself.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following practice workbook. It will help you to realize the topic more clearly.
That’s all about today’s session. And these are some steps to show data labels in thousands in an Excel chart. Please let us know in the comments section if you have any questions or suggestions. For a better understanding, please download the practice sheet. Thanks for your patience in reading this article.