Looking for ways to use an English dictionary in Excel? Then, this is the right place for you. You can use an English dictionary to check spelling, find meaning or synonyms and different forms of a word in Excel. To do that, you can follow different ways. Here, you will find 3 ways to use an English dictionary in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook to practice yourself.
3 Handy Applications of English Dictionary in Excel
Here, we have a dataset containing the Subject name and Marks of a student. Now, using this dataset we will show you how to use an English dictionary in Excel.
1. Use Spelling Feature to Check Spelling in Excel
In the first method, we will show you how you can check spelling of words in your dataset using the Spelling feature in Excel.
Here are the steps.
- Firstly, select cell range B5:B8.
- Secondly, go to the Review tab >> click on Spelling.
- Then, a Spelling box will open.
- After that, you will see some suggestions for Cell B7. Here, we will select Chemistry.
- Next, click on the Change button.
- Then, you will see that the spelling has been changed.
- Afterward, you will see some suggestions for Cell B8. Here, we will select Biology.
- Again, click on the Change button.
- Finally, a message box like the image shown below will open.
- Thus, you can check spelling in Excel.
Read More: How to Create Data Dictionary in Excel (with Easy Steps)
2. Press ALT Key to Find Meaning Using English Dictionary in Excel
You can use the ALT key to use an English dictionary and find the meaning of a word in Excel. To do that, follow the steps given below.
- In the beginning, select the cell which contains the word you want to translate. Here, we will select Cell B5.
- Then, press the ALT key and again click on that cell.
- Thus, a Research toolbox will open where you can find the meaning of that word.
Read More: How to Use VBA Dictionary in Excel (6 Practical Examples)
3. Apply Thesaurus Feature to Find Meaning and Different Forms Using English Dictionary
In the final method, we will show you how you can find the meaning or synonyms of a word in Excel by applying the Thesaurus feature. Using this feature, you will also be able to find different forms of a word. Suppose your given word is a verb, it will show you other forms such as noun or adjective form of that word (if it has any).
Here are the necessary steps.
- Firstly, select the cell which contains the word you want to find the meaning or synonyms of. Here, we will select Cell B5.
- After that, go to the Review tab >> click on Thesaurus.
- Now, the Thesaurus toolbox will open which will provide you with the meaning or synonyms and other forms of that word.
- That’s it. Thus, you can use an English dictionary in Excel.
In the article, you will find an Excel workbook like the image given below to practice on your own.
So, in this article, we have shown you 3 ways to use an English dictionary in Excel. I hope you found this article interesting and helpful. If something seems difficult to understand, please leave a comment. Additionally, please let us know if there are any more alternatives that we may have missed. And, visit ExcelDemy for many more articles like this. Thank you!