In this article, we will show the ways to convert time to text in Excel with proper illustrations. The following image shows the input and output briefly.
Convert Time to Text in Excel: 3 Effective Methods
1. Use TEXT Function
The TEXT function converts a value to text in a specific number format. In this section, we will use a formula based on the TEXT function to convert time to text in Excel.
- First, we add a new column on the right side.
- Now, go to Cell C5.
- Then put the following formula based on the TEXT function.
- Press the Enter button.
- Finally, drag the Fill Handle icon downwards.
Here, time is converted to text without changing the presentation.
2. Use a Suitable Text Editor
In this section, we will use a suitable text editor. We will copy the time to the editor, and then paste them into some text formatted cells.
Apply the following steps.
- Go to the Desktop window.
- Press the right button of the mouse.
- Choose the Text Document option from New section on the appeared menu.
- A new notepad window appears.
We will paste data into this notebook.
- Go to the Excel Sheet.
- Choose the Range B5:B9. Press the Ctrl + C to copy data.
- Paste the data into the notepad by pressing Ctrl+V.
- Now, change the format of the cells where to put the data.
- Choose the Range C5:C9.
- Press the down arrow from the Number format.
- Choose the Text option from the list.
- Now, copy data from the notepad.
- Then, paste data on Cell C5.
We can see time is converted to text with no change in data representation.
Read More: How to Convert Time to Number in Excel
3. Convert Time to Text Using Text to Columns Tool
In this section, we will apply the text to columns feature to convert time to text.
- First, we copy the data from the Time column into the next column.
- Choose Range C5:C9.
- Select the Data tab.
- Choose Text to Columns from the Data Tools group.
- The Convert Text to Columns Wizard window appears.
- Choose the Delimited option.
- Then, press the Next button.
- 2nd window of the Convert Text to Columns Wizard feature.
- Unmark all the options from the Delimiters, then press the Next button.
- The last window appears finally.
- Choose the Text option.
- Click the Finish button.
- Look at the sheet.
Converted data are in text format.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
In this article, we described how to convert time to text in excel with function and other features. I hope this will satisfy your needs. Please give your suggestions in the comment box.