Hour, minute, and second are the units of time. In different situations, we show time with the combination of these units. Such as HH:MM:SS, HH: MM, MM:SS, HH, SS, MM etc. In this article, we will show how to convert the time of any format to minutes in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
5 Methods to Convert Time to Minutes in Excel
Let’s get introduced to our dataset first. In the following image, we represent time in two different formats.
Now let’s explore the main discussion.
1. Convert Hours and Minutes in HH:MM to Just Minutes Using a Multiplication Factor
In this section, our time is in HH:MM format. We will use a multiplication factor, i.e. 1440, to convert the data to minutes.
The factor 1440 comes in this way.
1 day=24 hours
1 hour=60 minutes
Hence, 1 day=24 x 60, or 1440 minutes.
- First off, we add a new column on the right side. We will place the desired output in this new column.
- But before that, we need to change the value format of this column.
- To do that, select Range C5:C9.
- Then, press Ctrl +1.
- The Format Cells window appears here.
- Now, choose the Number category from the Number tab.
- Click the OK button finally.
- Now, move to Cell C5.
- Then, put the following formula on that cell.
- Press the Enter button now.
- Finally, drag the Fill Handle icon.
We can see time is successfully converted to minutes.
Read More: How to Convert Hours to Minutes in Excel (3 Easy Ways)
2. Use HOUR, MINUTE, and SECOND Functions to Convert Time to Minutes
In this section, we will use the combination of HOUR, MINUTE, and SECOND functions to convert the time of HH:MM:SS format time in Excel.
- The HOUR function returns the hour as a number from 0 (12:00 A.M.) to 23 (11:00 P.M.).
- The MINUTE function returns the minute, a number from 0 to 59.
- The SECOND function returns the minute, a number from 0 to 59.
If the sample time is in HH:MM or MM:SS format, we will customize the formula or can keep the formula as it is.
- Before we apply the formula, we change the format of the Total Minutes column.
- Press Ctrl +1.
- From the Format Cells window, we fix 2 as the Decimal places.
- Then, click the OK button.
- Now, put the formula on Cell C5.
One thing that needs to mention is that we multiply the hour value by 60 and divide the second value by 60 to convert them into minutes. Lastly, add all the values.
- Finally, drag the Fill Handle icon after pressing Enter button.
Here, we get the result in decimal format. A second is the fraction of a minute, which means if we convert seconds into minutes then decimal values will exist in minutes value.
Read More: How to Convert Hours and Minutes to Minutes in Excel
3. Utilize CONVERT Function
In this section, we will use the CONVERT function. The CONVERT function converts a number from one measurement system to another.
- First off, go the Cell C5 and put the following formula.
We also use the HOUR and SECOND functions that extract the hour and second values from the given time and then apply the CONVERT function with those values.
- Press the Enter button and pull the Fill Handle icon.
Finally, get the result after conversion.
Read More: How to Convert Minutes to Hours and Minutes in Excel
- How to Convert Milliseconds to Seconds in Excel (2 Quick Ways)
- Convert Minutes to Hundredths in Excel (3 Easy Ways)
- How to Convert Minutes to Days in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
- Convert Hours to Percentage in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
- How to Convert Seconds to Hours Minutes Seconds in Excel
4. Apply TEXT Function
The TEXT function converts a value to text in a specific number format.
In this section, we will use the TEXT function with a format to convert time to minutes.
- Now, go to Cell C5.
- Put the formula based on the TEXT function.
- After pressing the Enter button and pulling the Fill Handle icon.
Here, we multiply the time value by 1440 which is the conversion factor of day to minutes. Also, we add a decimal place as there is a second in the given time value.
Read More: Convert Time to Text in Excel (3 Effective Methods)
5. Convert Military Time to Minutes in Excel Using HOUR and MINUTE Functions
In this section, we want to convert military time to minutes. One interesting thing about military time is that there is no punctual mark between the hour and minute. Look at the dataset.
- Now, put the following formula on Cell C5.
- Then, press the Enter button and drag the Fill Handle icon.
Military time is converted to minutes.
Read More: Convert Military Time to Standard Time in Excel (2 Suitable Ways)
More Examples of Time to Minute Conversion in Excel
1. Conversion of Decimal Time to Hour and Minute
Here, we want to show how to convert decimal time to the hour and minute in Excel. In the following dataset, we have a set of times in decimal format.
- Now, go to Cell C5 and put the following formula.
- After pressing the Enter button, drag the Fill Handle icon.
But the result has no meaning in terms of time value. We need to change the format of the cells.
- Select the Range C5:C9.
- Press Ctrl +1.
- The Format Cells window appears.
- Choose hh:mm format from the Custom section.
- Finally, press OK.
We can see time is properly in hourly format.
Now, we will convert the decimal time into minutes.
- Go to Cell D5 and put the formula below.
- Finally, press the Enter button and drag the Fill Handle icon.
Decimal time has converted to hours and minutes successfully.
Read More: How to Convert Time to Decimal in Excel (3 Quick Ways)
2. Convert Date and Time Difference to Minutes in Excel
It’s time to think about the date. Here, we will find out the difference in date with time and convert that into minutes. We will use apply a simple subtraction and multiplication operation in this method.
We can see there are the start and end dates in our dataset.
- Now, go to Cell D5 and put the following formula.
- Then, press the Enter button and drag the Fill Handle icon downwards.
Finally, we get the result.
Read More: Convert Epoch Time to Date in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
Conversion of Time to Hour and Second in Excel
Now, what if you need to convert time to hours and seconds too? In this section, we will show how to convert time to the hour and second units in Excel.
Here, we will use the combination of the HOUR, MINUTE, and SECOND functions to convert time to seconds.
- Just put the following formula on Cell C5.
- Then, press the Enter button and pull the drag handle icon.
We get the result in the second format. We needed to apply a multiplication operation with the hour and minute values. Multiple hours by 3600 and minutes by 60.
We can easily convert this time format into hours.
- Put the modified formula on Cell C5.
- Again, press Enter and drag Fill Handle icon.
Here we apply division operation with minutes and seconds.
Read More: How to Convert Time to Seconds in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
In this article, we described how to convert time to minutes in Excel. We converted different formats of time into minutes. We also showed ways to convert times in other formats hours and minutes as well. I hope this will satisfy your needs. Please have a look at our website Exceldemy.com and give your suggestions in the comment box.