Epoch time is the beginning point (date and time) from which computers measure their system time. For example, the epoch time in UNIX and POSIX-based operating systems is 00:00:00 UTC on Thursday, January 1, 1970. Sometimes, we face an epoch time dataset that is simply a tally of seconds counting from Unix Epoch time. However, we can not grasp just numbers since we utilize date, month, and year to count time. So, we’re going to convert epoch time to date excel
Convert Epoch Time to Date in Excel: 2 Simple Methods
In cells B5:B16, we have a range of Unix timestamps to transform to dates.
1. Using DATE Function and Format Cells Tool
We’ll first convert Unix timestamps to serial numbers using a formula with the DATE function, then use the date format to convert them to Excel dates.
- Enter the following formula into cell C5 and hit Enter.
- Now, drag the Fill handle to fill the following cells in that column.
- After applying the formula, we will just copy the column to the adjacent column by Ctrl+C and Paste the Values into the Date columns.
- At this moment, we will select the serial no. and Format Cells… to convert those numbers to date.
- Meanwhile, the Format Cells pop-up box will appear and we will select Date from Category, then 14-Mar-2012 from Type, and after that just click Ok.
- Subsequently, this data set in the below image is a representation of the conversion of the epoch time to date.
Read More: How to Convert Time to Decimal in Excel
2. Combine DATE & TEXT Functions to Convert Epoch Time to Date
The TEXT function may also be used together with the DATE function to convert Unix timestamp information to Excel dates.
- Click cell C5 and enter the following formula.
- Drag the Fill handle and we will fill up the rest of the cells.
Read More: How to Convert Time to Number in Excel
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from the following download button.
Follow these steps and stages to convert epoch time to date excel. You are welcome to download the workbook and use it for your own practice. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please leave them in the comments section.
- How to Convert Decimal Time to Hours and Minutes in Excel
- Convert Military Time to Standard Time in Excel
- How to Convert Time to Hours in Excel
- How to Convert Time to Minutes in Excel
- How to Convert Time to Seconds in Excel
- Convert Time to Text in Excel