The vital feature of decimals, the time concept is the standard which used split time is like the standard used to express it. The entire time expression may be managed as a single string. As a result, interpreting a timestamp and performing conversions becomes easier. At the present, it is doubtful that decimal time will become widely used. But while working with the decimal time format, we need to convert them for better understanding. In this article, we will demonstrate the effective methods to convert decimal time to hours and minutes in Excel.
Everyone understands that there are 24 hours in a day. That’s the reason we will divide the decimal time by 24 to get the hours and minutes. Suppose we have a dataset that contains some employee names and their total working time for a week. But the time is in decimal time format, now we need to convert the decimal time to hours and minutes.
1. Using TEXT Function to Convert Decimal Time to Hours and Minutes in Excel
The Excel TEXT Function is being used to transform integers into text. This function produces a number as text with the formatting specified. To include formatted numerals in text, use the TEXT function. We can also convert decimal time to hours and minutes using this function. For this, we need to follow the procedures down.
- In the first place, choose the cell where you want to put the formula for converting the decimal time to hours and minutes.
- Then, enter the following formula there.
- After that, to complete the operation hit the Enter key.
- Furthermore, to copy the formula over the range, drag the Fill Handle down or double-click on the Plus (+) icon.
- And, finally, that’s it! You will get the hours and minutes in column D.
Read More: How to Convert Time to Decimal in Excel
2. Converting Decimal Time to Hours and Minutes with Simple Excel Formula
In the spreadsheet, we may write a basic formula to add, subtract, multiply, or divide data. Simple formulae generally begin with an equal sign (=), surrounded by numerical parameters and computation operations. A formula in Microsoft Excel is a statement that works on values in a range of cells. To convert decimal time to hours and minutes we need to follow the process below.
- Firstly, select cell D5 and substitute the formula.
- Then, press Enter. And the formula will show in the formula bar.
- Further, to replicate the formula throughout the range, drag the Fill Handle downward. To AutoFill the range, double-click on the Plus (+) symbol.
- By doing this you will get the result. But if you want a more specific result, you have to follow it further.
- Further, select the resulting cells, then go to the Home tab of the ribbon.
- Next, under the Number category, click on the tiny icon shown below.
- This will open the Format Cells dialog box.
- Now, go to the Number menu and select Custom from the category.
- And, in the Type menu, select h:mm.
- After that, click on the OK button to complete the procedures.
- And, finally, this is it! You will get the result.
Read More: How to Convert Time to Hours in Excel
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with them.
The above methods will assist you to Convert Decimal Time to Hours and Minutes in Excel. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback, please let us know in the comment section.
- How to Convert Time to Number in Excel
- Convert Military Time to Standard Time in Excel
- Convert Epoch Time to Date in Excel
- Convert Time to Text in Excel
- How to Convert Time to Minutes in Excel
- How to Convert Time to Seconds in Excel