We can round a value or can round the output of formula in Excel. So of course we can round a formula with the SUM function too. There are several ways to do it but we’ll show the 4 best methods to round a formula with the SUM function in Excel with sharp steps and clear illustration.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel workbook from here and practice on your own.
4 Ways to Round a Formula with SUM in Excel
To demonstrate the methods, we’ll use the following dataset that represents some product prices.
1. Using ROUND and SUM Functions to Round a Formula in Excel
First, we’ll do it using the ROUND and SUM functions. We can apply them in two different ways- sum the values and then round them or round the values first and then find the sum. Both ways will give you approximately the same output.
1.1. Sum Values Then Round
First, we’ll learn how to sum the values and then how to round. So, we’ll have to use the SUM function first and then the ROUND function.
- Activate Cell C11 by clicking it.
- Then type the following formula in it-
- Finally, just press the ENTER button to get the output.
1.2. Round Values Then Sum
Now, we’ll round the values first and then will sum them. For that, we’ll have to use the ROUND function first and then the SUM function.
- In Cell C11, write the following formula-
- Later, just hit the ENTER button to get the result.
And have a look we got the same result as the previous section.
2. Applying Excel ROUNDUP and SUM Functions to Round a Formula
Excel ROUNDUP function can be used too to round a formula with the SUM function. Because the ROUNDUP function works pretty similar to the ROUND function, just round the value to its nearest upper value. First, we’ll sum the values and then will apply the ROUNDUP function.
- Write the following formula in Cell C11–
- Then to get the output, just hit the ENTER button.
- How to Round to Nearest 10 Cents in Excel (4 Suitable Methods)
- Rounding Time in Excel to Nearest Hour (6 Easy Methods)
- How to Stop Excel from Rounding Large Numbers (3 Easy Methods)
- Rounding to Nearest Dollar in Excel (6 Easy Ways)
3. Using ROUNDDOWN and SUM Functions to Round a Formula
Here, we’ll apply the ROUNDDOWN and SUM functions. The ROUNDDOWN function works inversely to the ROUNDUP function, it rounds a value to its nearest lower value.
- Type the following formula in Cell C11–
- Finally, press the ENTER button.
Have a look, the output is slightly different from the previous outputs because of using the ROUNDDOWN function but that is not so significant for a large value.
4. Manually Sum Values Then Round
In our last method, we’ll sum the values manually instead of using the SUM function and then will round the output using the ROUND function.
- First, type the following formula in Cell C11 to sum the values manually-
- Next, press the ENTER button.
- Now to round the output, write the following formula in Cell C12–
- Hit the ENTER button to finish.
We hope the procedures described above will be good enough to round a formula with the SUM function in Excel. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give us feedback. Visit ExcelDemy to explore more.