While working with Microsoft Excel we might find unnecessary decimal numbers with percentages in our dataset. We might need to round those percentages. In this article, I will show you how you can round percentages in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
4 Quick Methods to Round Percentages in Excel
The following methods will cover some quickest ways to round percentages in excel. Stay tuned.
Suppose we have a dataset of some employees’ sales commission in a percentage format. Now we will round the percentages.
1. Use ROUND Function to Round Percentages in Excel
Using the ROUND function you can round percentages quickly. Follow the steps below-
- Select a cell (F5).
- Apply the formula-
- The ROUND function returns a number rounded to a given number of digits.
- Press Enter to see the result in the selected cell.
- Drag down the fill handle to get the output in all cells.
- Here you will see all the percentages are rounded.
Read More: Rounding to Nearest Dollar in Excel (6 Easy Ways)
2. Utilize ROUNDUP Function to Round Percentages in Excel
Sometimes we might need to round the percentage in a way so that the rounded percentage will show upper values of the whole percentage. For that, you can use the ROUNDUP function in excel.
- Choose a cell. Here I have selected cell (F5).
- Apply the formula-
- The ROUNDUP function returns a number rounded up within a given number or digit.
- Press Enter.
- Drag down the fill handle.
- Thus we can get our percentages rounded up in excel.
Read More: How to Remove Decimals in Excel with Rounding (10 Easy Methods)
- How to Round a Formula with SUM in Excel (4 Simple Ways)
- Rounding Time in Excel to Nearest Hour (6 Easy Methods)
- How to Add ROUND Formula to Multiple Cells in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
- Round Excel Data to Make Summations Correct (7 Easy Methods)
- Round Time to Nearest 5 Minutes in Excel (4 Quick Methods)
3. Apply ROUNDDOWN Function to Round Percentages in Excel
In the previous method, we have shown how you can round percentages and at the same moment round up the percentages. In this method, we will round down percentages.
- Select a cell to apply the formula. Here I have selected cell (F5).
- Put the following formula-
- The ROUNDDOWN function rounds down the digit within a given number.
- Click Enter.
- Now drag the fill handle down to get the desired output in all cells.
- Here you will see we have successfully rounded percentages with the help of the ROUNDDOWN function.
Read More: Round off Formula in Excel Invoice (9 Quick Methods)
4. Increase and Decrease Decimal Feature to Round Percentages in Excel
This method is the simplest way to round percentages just by some single click. You can round percentages with the increase and decrease decimal feature of excel.
- Choose the cells from the dataset to round percentages.
- In the home, ribbon click 3 times the decrease decimal icon to decrease the decimal and round the percentages.
- As you can see clicking the decrease decimal button you can round percentages according to your choice. To increase decimal you can also press the left side icon of increase decimal.
Read More: How to Roundup a Formula Result in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
Things to Remember
- In this part, I will explain to you the main differences between the ROUNDUP and ROUNDDOWN functions.
In this article, check out the result from the ROUNDUP and ROUNDDOWN functions. I have attached both outputs in the following picture-
As you can see the ROUNDUP function has rounded up the percentages. On the other hand, the ROUNDDOWN function has rounded down the percentages.
In this article, I have tried to cover the simple and quickest ways to round percentages in excel. Take a tour of the practice workbook and download the file to practice by yourself. Hope you find it useful. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the Exceldemy team, are always responsive to your queries. Stay tuned and keep learning.