Working on more than one sheet is a very common practice for Excel users. There are multiple options to open a new sheet in Excel. In this article, we will discuss how to open a new sheet in Excel with 7 quick methods.
How to Open New Sheet in Excel: 7 Quick Methods
For illustration, here is a dataset with the information of a half-yearly profit report of a company in 2020. The workbook has only one worksheet named 2020.
Now we will open a new sheet in this workbook with the methods below.
1. Open New Sheet Using Keyboard Shortcuts
The use of keyboard shortcuts is one of the easiest methods for opening a new sheet in Excel. Let’s see the quick steps below:
- First, press Alt + Shift + F1 on your keyboard.
- Otherwise, press Shift + F11 on the keyboard.
- After this, you will see that a new sheet appeared beside the old one.
- Release the keys from your keyboard.
- In case of multiple sheets, press Ctrl + Shift + PgDn to insert sheets to the right.
- Otherwise, press Ctrl + Shift + PgUp to move the sheets left.
- Now, press Shift + F11 to make new sheets in excel.
2. Apply New Sheet Tool in Excel for Opening Worksheet
Another easy way is to apply the New Sheet tool for opening a new worksheet. Follow the below steps:
- In the workbook, click on the first sheet.
- Now, press on the New Sheet icon or the Plus (+) icon.
- You will see another worksheet with it.
3. Get a New Sheet with Insert Dialogue Box
At this stage, we will see how to open a new sheet in Excel with the Insert dialogue box. To do that:
- First, right-click on the first sheet.
- Then, select Insert from the Context Menu.
- After that, select Worksheet.
- Then, press OK.
- Finally, you will see a new sheet with the previous one.
4. Use the Excel Home Tab to Open a New Sheet
Another easy option for opening a new sheet is to use the Home tab. Let’s see how it works.
- First, go to the Home tab and select Insert under the Cells group.
- Then, choose Insert Sheet from its drop-down menu.
- Finally, you will see a new sheet has been added successfully.
5. Open a New Sheet by Creating a Copy
If you want the new sheet as the same as the existing one, then follow the steps below:
- First, right-click on the first worksheet.
- Then, select Move or Copy.
- After this, mark the Create a copy checked.
- Then, press OK.
- That’s it, you will have your new worksheet.
Read More: How to Copy a Sheet in Excel
6. Insert Multiple Sheets with Excel VBA
In this section, we will discuss the process of inserting sheets with Excel VBA. Following is the process:
- First, go to the Developer tab and select Visual Basic.
- Now, choose Immediate Window from the View section.
- After that, insert this code on the blank page.
- Finally, you will see that 5 new sheets are added to the workbook as we insert the required number of sheets as 5.
Read More: How to Group Worksheets in Excel
7. Create Default Number of New Sheets in Excel Workbook
In this last method, we will create a new Excel workbook with default worksheet numbers. This process is applicable if you are clear about the required sheet number. Let’s see the process below:
- In the beginning, go to the File tab.
- Then, select Option from the menu.
- Now, in the Excel Options dialogue box, select General.
- Then, insert the number of pages on the Include this many sheets box.
- Finally, press OK and you will get a new workbook with the required number of worksheets.
How to Format New Sheet in Excel
Here are some quick tips to format the new sheet in Excel.
1. Change New Sheet Name
You can change the sheet name following this process:
- To change the sheet name, right-click on it and select Rename.
- Then, change the name as you require.
2. Change the Color of the Tab
You can change the worksheet tab color as well. Check the process below to change the color of the new tab:
- First, right-click on the worksheet.
- Then, select Tab Color.
- Here you will get numerous options of colors. Choose one from there.
3. Change the Position of the Worksheet
When you left-click on the new sheet by pressing the Ctrl button on your keyboard, it will show this icon (see screenshot). It benefits to drag the sheet anywhere you want.
How to Delete Sheet in Excel
There are several ways to delete a worksheet in Excel. We will discuss two of them here. Let’s check them below:
- Firstly, right-click on the sheet and click Delete.
- Otherwise, go to the Home tab and choose Delete Sheet from the Delete option.
Things to Remember
- You can add up to 255 new worksheets in Excel.
- The more sheets you insert, the more your workbook operation may slow down. So it is better not to compile too many sheets at once.
- It is a good practice to Group multiple sheets when you need to delete them.
- Instead of Delete, you can Hide the worksheet. After completing work, you can Unhide them as well.
Get the sample file here to practice by yourself.
Henceforth, I hope that it was a helpful article for you on how to open a new sheet in Excel with 7 quick methods. Please use the comment section below to post any questions or make any suggestions you might have.