Sometimes users need to copy charts from Microsoft Excel to PowerPoint for presentation purposes. But, if you copy your chart with a link and then paste it into PowerPoint, then the chart will change with any changes made in Excel. So, in this case, you need to copy the chart without linking. In this article, I will show you how to copy a chart from Excel to PowerPoint without a link.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel workbook here and practice on your own.
2 Easy Methods to Copy Chart from Excel to PowerPoint Without Link
In this article, you will see two easy methods to copy a chart from Excel to PowerPoint without a link. In the first method, I will paste the Excel chart as an enhanced metafile image. For the second one, I will employ the Use Destination Theme and Enhance Workbook command for pasting the chart.
For illustrating these two ways or methods I will use the following sample data set.
1. Paste Excel Chart as Enhanced Metafile Image
The first method of this procedure deals with pasting the Excel chart as an enhanced metafile image. By doing this, you will be able to unlink your Excel chart after pasting and be able to resize the picture without disfiguring it. The detailed steps for this procedure are as follows.
- First of all, select the data range B4:D10 and go to the Insert tab of the ribbon..
- Then, from the Charts group select to make a 2-D Line chart with the above data set.
- Consequently, the chart will look like the following image after creation.
- Secondly, right-click on the chart, and from the context menu choose Copy.
- Additionally, you can press Ctrl + C after right-clicking.
- Thirdly, open your PowerPoint file and then create a new slide.
- Then, on the top left corner select the downward arrow under the Paste command and from there, choose Paste Special.
- Fourthly, from the Paste Special dialog box, paste the file as Picture (Enhanced Metafile) and press OK.
- Finally, you will be able to paste the Excel chart without a link.
- How to Perform Excel to PowerPoint Automation (With Easy Steps)
- [Fixed!] Problems with Embedded Excel Files in PowerPoint
- How to Mail Merge from Excel to Powerpoint (with Quick Steps)
2. Employ Use Destination Theme & Embed Workbook Command
The second method includes choosing a different paste option. That is Use Destination Theme and Enhance Workbook command. By using this command you will be able to make a one-time copy of your Excel data and the chart will not be linked with your Excel file. Moreover, by using this command you will get access to the Chart Design feature which is not available in the previous method. Go through the following steps for a better understanding.
- Firstly, make a chart with the existing data set like the first method and then copy the chart.
- Secondly, go to your PowerPoint slide and from the Paste command dropdown choose, Use Destination Theme and Enhance Workbook.
- Finally, you will see your Excel chart in the slide that is not linked to the Excel file.
Things to Remember
- If you choose to paste the chart in PowerPoint as a picture it can get fuzzy while resizing the chart after pasting. So, paste the chart as an enhanced metafile instead.
- After pasting your chart following the first method will not give you access to redesign the chart. For that, you have to follow the second one.
That’s the end of this article. I hope you find this article helpful. After reading the above description, you will be able to copy a chart from Excel to PowerPoint without a link. Please share any further queries or recommendations with us in the comments section below.
The ExcelDemy team is always concerned about your preferences. Therefore, after commenting, please give us some moments to solve your issues, and we will reply to your queries with the best possible solutions.