This article highlights 6 possible solutions if the horizontal scroll is not working in Excel. You need to scroll through your dataset if you have a larger one. Scrollbars in Excel allow you to do that. But sometimes you may see that the horizontal scroll is not working on your Excel document. There could be a few possible reasons behind it. We will discuss them below and try to apply some solutions. Hopefully, the solutions will fix the problem if the horizontal scroll is not working in your Excel.
Horizontal Scroll Not Working in Excel: 6 Probable Ways to Fix It
1. Change the Page View
- First, you can try to refresh the page view. Go to the View tab and switch between Normal and Page Break View. Then switch back to Normal view.
- You should remember though that it is not possible to scroll horizontally through frozen columns. Unfreeze the columns if any to see if the problem is fixed.
- If the problem isn’t fixed yet, try removing filters from the worksheet.
- Then, reopen the Excel document if none of the solutions works. If that doesn’t help either, try the next solution.
2. Turn Off Scroll Lock
The horizontal scroll may not work if you have a scroll lock enabled on your PC. Scroll Lock is visible at the Status Bar (in the bottom-left corner).
- If you don’t see it, right-click on the Status bar. Then, check the Scroll Lock status. You will also see if Scroll Lock is enabled there.
- Now, disable the Scroll Lock on your keyboard. If your keyboard doesn’t have the Scroll Lock key, then you can disable it using the On-Screen Keyboard.
Read More: How to Move Up and Down in Excel
3. Click on Mouse Wheel Button
Try to click your mouse wheel. If you can, you should see a four-sided arrow as follows.
- Now, slide your mouse to the right or to the left for horizontal scrolling. The more you move the mouse, the quicker you will be able to scroll.
- Click on the mouse again, to disable auto-scrolling.
- How to Stop Arrow Keys from Scrolling in Excel
- Smooth Scrolling with Mouse Wheel in Excel
- How to Repeat Rows in Excel When Scrolling
- How to Stop Excel from Scrolling to Infinity
- Viewing Multiple Workbooks: Synchronous Scrolling in Excel
4. Right-Click on Horizontal Scroll Bar
Right-click on the Horizontal Scrollbar. Then select Scroll Right or Scroll Left.
5. Use Keyboard Shortcuts
You should be able to scroll horizontally using the right arrow (→) and the left arrow (←) keys. Alternatively, you can use a combination of keyboard and mouse to scroll horizontally.
- Press and hold CTRL+SHIFT Then scroll your mouse wheel for horizontal scrolling. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work in the versions before Excel 2016.
- Besides, the ALT+Page Up and ALT+Page Down shortcuts will also allow you to scroll horizontally.
Read More: Excel Not Scrolling with Arrow Keys
6. Install MS Mouse and Keyboard Center
If you have a Microsoft-supported mouse, then installing the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center may fix the problem.
Things to Remember
- Report to Microsoft if none of the solutions work.
- You can always try restarting your PC to fix the problem.
Now you know how to fix the issue if the horizontal scroll is not working in Excel. Please let us know if the above solutions have solved your problem. You can use the comment section below for further queries or suggestions.