When all is operating properly, you would anticipate the cursor to go to the cell to the right or left when you press the right or left arrow keys in Excel. A typical problem with arrow keys is that they move the spreadsheet but not the pointer. In this tutorial, we will illustrate how to fix arrow keys not moving between cells in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
2 Easy Ways to Fix Arrow Keys Not Moving Between Cells in Excel
When your Scroll Lock key is activated, the cells usually do not move. The Scroll Lock key is enabled in the spreadsheet, as shown in the image below. Another cause of this difficulty is the activation of any add-ins. We’ll show you three simple solutions to remove this problem.
1. Turn Off the Scroll Lock Key to Fix Arrow Keys Not Moving Between Cells in Excel
As shown in the image below, the Scroll Lock is active. So, when we press the right arrow (→) is moved the page is stead of the cell. Thus, It remains in the B5 cell as before. Follow the steps below to get rid of the issue.
1.1 Use a Keyboard Shortcut to Turn Off the Scroll Lock Key
- Press the Scroll Lock key from your keyboard to turn off the Scroll Lock.
- Then, press the right arrow key (→). Now, it will shift cell B5 to C5.
1.2 Use On-Screen Keyboard to Turn Off the Scroll Lock Key
You can also use On-Screen Keyboard to do the same task. Follow the outlined steps below to do so.
- In your windows search box, type On-Screen Keyboard.
- Click on the On-Screen Keyboard.
- Then, click on the ScrLk.
- Go back to your spreadsheet and press the right arrow key (→).
- Therefore, it will work as you expected.
Notes. Shortcut to open the On-Screen Keyboard: Windows + Ctrl + O
Read More: How to Move Selected Cells in Excel with Keyboard (4 Methods)
- How to Group Cells in Excel (6 Different Ways)
- Select All Cells with Data in a Column in Excel (5 Methods+Shortcuts)
- How to Select Multiple Cells in Excel without Mouse (9 Easy Methods)
- Multiple Excel Cells Are Selected with One Click (4 Causes+Solutions)
- How to Lock Cells in Excel When Scrolling (2 Easy Ways)
2. Remove Add-ins to Fix Arrow Keys Not Moving Between Cells in Excel
If disabling the Scroll Lock does not solve the problem, you may have any add-ins enabled. As a result, you must deactivate the add-ins. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Go to the File tab and select Home.
- Click on the Options.
- Select the Add-ins.
- Choose the COM Add-ins from the Manage.
- Then, click on the Go.
- Disable all the Checkboxes.
- Finally, click OK.
- Close your workbook and reopen it.
- Now, your arrow key will work as shown in the screenshot below.
Read More: How to Move Cells Up in Excel (3 Easy Ways)
In conclusion, I hope you now understand how to resolve the issue of arrow keys not moving cells in Excel. All of these strategies should be employed in order to teach and practice with your data. Examine the practice book and apply what you’ve learned. We are encouraged to continue giving sessions like these because of your important support.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries. Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
The Exceldemy team will get back to you as soon as possible.
Stay with us and continue to learn.
- How to Display the Cell Formulas in Excel (6 Methods)
- Check If Multiple Cells Are Equal in Excel (4 Methods)
- How to Lock Cells in Excel Formula (2 Easy Ways)
- Select a Range of Cells in Excel (9 Methods)
- How to Select a Range of Cells in Excel Formula (4 Methods)
- How to Lock Multiple Cells in Excel (6 Suitable Methods)
thank you very nice
Thanks a lot for your appreciation. You can also put your problems here, the ExcelDemy team is always in your assistance.