In real life, statistical calculation is our quotidian work. By using Microsoft Excel, we can easily perform these statistical calculations. The NORMINV Function in Excel is useful for us to calculate the inverse of the Cumulative Normal Distribution for a supplied value and a supplied distribution mean & standard deviation. In this article, we’ll get to learn how we can use the NORMINV function effectively in Excel with appropriate illustrations.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
Introduction to NORMINV Function in Excel
👉 Function Objective
NORMINV returns the inverse of the normal cumulative distribution for the specified mean and standard deviation.
👉 Arguments Explanation
|probability||Required||A probability corresponding to the normal distribution.|
|mean||Required||The distribution’s arithmetic mean.|
|standard_dev||Required||The distribution’s standard deviation.|
Read More: How to Use PROB Function in Excel (3 Examples)
Use of NORMINV Function in Excel
Let’s say, we have a dataset where Probability, Mean, and Standard Deviation are given in Column B, Column C, Column D respectively. We want to calculate the Cumulative Normal Distribution’s Inverse of these data that has been given in our Excel Worksheet by using the NORMINV Function. Now, we will calculate the inverse of the Cumulative Normal Distribution for the values that have been given in Row 5 and the value of Probability, Mean, and Standard Deviation is 0.25, 50, and 1 respectively.
For this, let’s follow the instructions
- First, select cell E5 and type the NORMINV Function in the Formula Bar. The formula is
- Now press Enter on your keyboard and you will get 33 in cell E5 as the return of the function.
- After that, place your Cursor on the Bottom-Left on Cell E5, and the Plus sign(+) pops up and then press the Left-Click on your Mouse and drag it downward.
- Finally, you will be able to calculate the Cumulative Normal Distribution’s Inverse of these data that is given in the screenshot.
Read More: How to Use MIN Function in Excel (5 Relevant Examples)
- How to Use Excel STDEV Function (3 Easy Examples)
- Use Excel GROWTH Function (4 Easy Methods)
- How to Use Excel FREQUENCY Function (6 Examples)
- Use TREND Function in Excel (3 Examples)
- How to Use Excel NORMDIST Function (2 Applications)
Things to Remember
⏩ NORMINV Function is used to calculate the inverse of the Cumulative Normal Distribution
⏩ #VALUE error – happens when
- Probability is not numeric
- Mean is not numeric
- Standard_dev is not numeric
⏩ #NUM error – happens when
- “Probability” < 0
- “Probability” > 1
- “Standard_dev” = 0
⏩ #N/A error – happens when
- The function does not converge after 100 iterations
I hope the method that has been mentioned above to use the NORMINV function will now provoke you to apply it in your Excel spreadsheets with more productivity. You are most welcome to comment if you have any questions or queries.