For a better understanding of calculation and representation, sometimes, comments are added to an Excel worksheet. As a result, sometimes it is needed to copy those comments and paste them elsewhere as per requirements. In this article, I will show you 2 suitable methods to copy comments in Excel.
Say, we have a dataset comprised of two columns X and Y. The X column contains a commented cell at the B6 cell reference. Now, we can copy this comment to the Y column cells.
1. Using Paste Special Tool to Copy Comments in Excel
The simplest and easiest way to copy comments in Excel is using the ‘Paste Special’ dialogue box. Follow the steps below to accomplish this. 👇
- First and foremost, click on the commented cell which is the B6 cell here. As you hover over the cell, you can see the comment pops up.
- Next, right-click your mouse on the selected cell. Subsequently, click on the Copy option from the context menu.
- At this time, select the cells where you want to paste your comment. Subsequently, right-click on your mouse and click on the Paste Special… option from the context menu.
- As a result, the Paste Special dialogue box will appear. Next, check the Comments and Notes option. Subsequently, click on the OK button.
Thus, you will see that all the comments have been copied and pasted as per your target successfully.
2. Applying Excel VBA Code to Copy Comments
You can also use VBA code to copy comments in Excel. Follow the steps below to accomplish this. 👇
- First and foremost, go to the Developer tab. Subsequently, click on the Visual Basic tool.
- At this time, the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window will appear. Next, choose the Sheet3 module from the left side tabs as you want to apply your code to this sheet. Now write the code below in the VBA code window.
Sub CopyAndPasteComments() Dim CopyCells As Range, PasteCells As Range xTitleId = "Copy and Paste Comments" Set CopyCells = Application.Selection Set CopyCells = Application.InputBox("Copy Comment from Cells :", xTitleId, CopyCells.Address, Type:=8) Set PasteCells = Application.InputBox("Paste Comment to Cells:", xTitleId, CopyCells.Address, Type:=8) CopyCells.Copy PasteCells.Parent.Activate PasteCells.PasteSpecial xlPasteComments Application.CutCopyMode = False End Sub
- Now, close the VBA window and go to the File tab.
- Subsequently, choose the Save As option from the expanded File tab.
- At this time, the Save As window will appear. Consequently, save the Excel file in .xlsm format by choosing the Save as type: options.
- After saving, close the Excel file and open it again.
- Now, just like the first step go to the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window again. Subsequently, click on the run icon.
- As a result, a window named Copy and Paste Comments will appear. In the Copy Comments from Cells: text box, write the reference of the cell that you want to copy the comment from. Consequently, click on the OK button.
- Subsequently, the Copy and Paste Comments window will appear again. Now, at the Paste Comment to Cells: text box, write the reference of the cells where you want to paste the copied comment. Next, click on the OK button.
Thus, you can copy any cell’s comment to any cells using this way. And the result will look like this. 👇
Read More: VLOOKUP to Copy Comments in Excel
Download Sample Workbook
So, in this article, I have shown you 2 suitable methods to copy comments in Excel. Follow any of these methods to accomplish your desired result. I hope you find this article helpful and informative. If you have any further queries or recommendations, please feel free to comment in the comment box below.