Every country has a different time zone in this world. Greenwich Meridian Time is the standard time for all of these time zones. In this article, I am going to describe how to convert GMT to IST in Excel. I am going to introduce two easy methods to convert GMT to IST. These two methods are- application of Generic Formula & using the NOW function. Hope you will find the ways interesting.
Introduction to GST and IST
Greenwich standard meridian is 0° E or W concerning longitudes. However, the Indian standard meridian is 82°30′ or 82.5° E of the Greenwich Meridian. The earth rotates 1 ° in 4 minutes around the sun. So, the time required for a rotation from Greenwich to India concerning the sun needs to be calculated concerning longitudes.
Here, I have got (82+0.5) ×4 minutes=330 minutes or 5 hours and 30 minutes. India is East of England. So, the sun rises in India before England. As a result, the time zone of India should be ahead of England. The amount of time, India ahead of England is calculated earlier and it is 5 hours and 30 minutes. Actually, 15 degrees is equal to 1 hour time difference. The east of Greenwich meridian is ahead and the west is behind.
In this figure, the black vertical line is the GMT line and the red one is the IST line.
We can draw a summary of this description like this:
IST (Indian Standard Time) Line-
- It passes through 82°30′ East longitude at Prayagraj(Allahabad) in India.
- The time zone is 5 hours and 30 minutes ahead of GMT.
GMT- Greenwich Mean Time Line-
- It passes through 0° longitude along the Greenwich Meridian in London.
- Time to the east of Greenwich is ahead and time to its west is behind GMT.
How to Convert GMT to IST in Excel: 2 Effective Ways
Now, I am going to introduce a Dataset containing England vs India Match Schedule. The dataset has 3 columns (B, C, and D) mentioning GMT, Time Difference (Hrs), and IST respectively. It has 3 rows of data also. The data table starts from B4 and ends with D7. I will use this data table to convert GMT to IST with necessary illustrations.
1. Apply Generic Formula to Convert from GMT to IST
In this portion of the article, I will describe the first method to convert GMT to IST. It is a short process. I am going to apply a Generic Formula to convert GMT to IST. Let’s discuss the method with suitable illustrations.
- First, select the D5.
- Then, in that cell, write down the formula mentioned below.
- After that, press the Enter.
- Then Fill Handle the formula from D5 to D7.
- At last, you will find the result just like the picture given below.
Read More: How to Convert GMT to EST in Excel
2. Use NOW Function to Convert GMT to IST
In this method, I am going to show another suitable way to convert GMT to IST. It is a simple method. I will use the NOW Function in column B naming GMT for converting GMT to IST. I will describe the method step by step with necessary images and illustrations.
- Select the B5.
- Then Write down the formula in the B5.
- Then, in that cell, write down the formula mentioned below
- After that press the Enter.
- Hence, Fill Handle the formula by dragging from D5 to D7.
- Finally, you will find Indian Standard Time just like the result given below.
Read More: How to Convert IST to EST in Excel
Things to Remember
- The NOW function shows working real time and date. So, the time and date mentioned in this example will not match the time and date while you are practicing.
- I have used two extended formulas in B6 and B7 like-
respectively to change the date.
Download Practice Workbook
Please download the practice workbook to practice yourself.
I hope these nine methods will help you to convert GMT to IST in Excel. I think you will find interest in these methods. If you have any kind of queries, feel free to ask me in the comment section.