Sometimes we need to store a large amount of data in Excel. As a result, the size of the Excel file becomes bigger. If we need to share this file online, it becomes difficult. Also, when we have a large number of big files, it reduces disk storage. There is a smart solution to this problem without hampering the Excel file. That is to compress the Excel file into Zip. In this article, we will show how to compress an excel file into a zip.
2 Ways to Compress Excel File to Zip
We will show 2 ways here. One is making the parent the folder zipped that contains the Excel file, and the other way is making the Excel file itself a zipped file. Use the way that suits your cause.
Here, we will show each process of how to compress an Excel file into zip in detail.
1. Zip Folder That Contains Excel File
Follow the steps below to zip folder that contains Excel file.
- First, we save an Excel file in the desired location of File Explorer.
- Select the Excel file and press the right button on the mouse.
- Choose the Send to option from the Context Menu.
- We see another list here.
- Choose the Compressed (zipped) folder from the list.
- Look at the existing folder of File Explorer.
We can see a new zip file added here.
2. Compress Excel File to ZIP by Renaming
In this section, we will zip the Excel file by rewriting the extension name.
- Open the folder that contains your Excel file. Find the file and click once on it.
- If don’t see any extension name with the file name, then go to the View tab of File Explorer. Then, mark the File name extensions checkbox.
The file extension name will appear now.
- Now, go to Rename option from the Home tab.
- Now, change the extension name to .zip. The following window will pop up. Press Yes on the pop-up.
- Finally, you will see that your Excel file is successfully compressed as a zipped file.
To use it again as an Excel file, just change the extension name to .xlsx.
Things to Remember
- When an Excel file is compressed into a zip, the format of the Excel file will change into .zip.
- We can also use other third party apps like: WinRAR, 7-Zip, ES File Explorer, Bandizip, WinZip, ZArchiver, TransMac, etc.
In this article, we described 2 methods of how to compress an Excel file into a zip in detail. I hope this will satisfy your needs. Please have a look at our website ExcelDemy and give your suggestions in the comment box.
- Reduce Excel File Size with Pictures (2 Easy Ways)
- How to Compress Excel File for Email (13 Quick Methods)
- Reduce Excel File Size with Macro (11 Easy Ways)
- How to Determine What Is Causing Large Excel File Size
- Reduce Excel File Size with Pivot Table
- [Fixed!] Excel File Too Large for No Reason (10 Possible Solutions)
- Reduce Large Excel File Size by 40-60% (12 Proven Methods)