In this article, we will demonstrate how to reduce Excel file size by deleting blank rows. Often a file in Excel becomes very large and takes a huge space in storage. In order to avoid this problem, we need to minimize the file size. The following article will help you reduce your Excel file size in different ways. We will use Microsoft 365 to do all these.
Download Practice Workbook
You may download the following workbook to practice yourself.
4 Suitable Ways to Reduce Excel File Size by Deleting Blank Rows
In order to illustrate, we will use a sample dataset. For instance, the following dataset represents the customer names, their order details and the number of orders. There are some blank rows in the sheet which the operator wants to remove for his convenience.
Method 1: Deleting Blank Rows Manually to Reduce Excel File Size
When the worksheet is small, it is convenient to delete rows manually. Though it takes time to delete, this method gives a more accurate result.
- In the beginning, we press and hold the Ctrl key and choose the rows one by one.
- Next, we select Delete in the ribbon command as well as Delete Sheet Rows.
- After that, we get the result free of blank rows.
Method 2: Applying Find Command to Delete Blank Rows
It is very time-consuming to select and delete blank rows by inspection. A more convenient way is to use the Find command instead.
- Initially, we will select Find & Select and the Find from the ribbon command.
- Secondly, a dialog box appears in which we select the options like the following image.
- If we apply these, a new box will appear containing all the blank cells. We will select all of them by Ctrl+A.
- In the end, we will close the dialog box and delete all the blank cells by clicking the Delete ribbon command and then Delete Sheet Rows.
- How to Determine What Is Causing Large Excel File Size
- Reduce Excel File Size with Pivot Table
- [Fixed!] Excel File Too Large for No Reason (10 Possible Solutions)
- How to Reduce Excel File Size Without Opening (with Easy Steps)
Method 3: Reduce Excel File Size to Reduce Excel File Size by Filtering
The third method for deleting blank rows is to use the Filtering Function in the dataset. We will filter out the blanks and then delete those to remove blanks. We will follow the steps below.
- First, we select the whole dataset using Ctrl+A. Then we select Sort & Filter as well as Filter.
- Later we select the dropdown menu of Serial No. and then Blanks.
- By doing that we get all the blank rows in the dataset.
- Finally, we delete blank cells and reduce the file size.
Method 4: Sorting Data to Delete Blank Rows
Another way to do the same operation as filtering is to apply the Sort command on the dataset. We will sort the data to find out the blanks and later we will delete those.
- In the beginning, we select all the data as before and choose the options like the image below.
- By doing that, we get the sorted data where all the blank cells gather in the bottom of the dataset.
- After that we delete the blank cells like before and finally get the result.
We have discussed the ways to reduce Excel files by deleting blank rows in Excel in the above sections. Hope this will be very helpful for you. Let us know your views and recommendations in the comment section. Have a good day.