When we conduct surveys and must export the data into a spreadsheet, we have a lot of work to do. Let’s say you have to make entries for a survey of about 1 million people. As a result, completing the task will take a full day. As a result, we’ll need to figure out how to create a generic form from which we can export our data to Excel automatically. So, in this tutorial, we will show you how to populate an Excel spreadsheet from a web form.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
5 Steps to Populate an Excel Spreadsheet from a Web Form
We’ll start by creating a Web Form with a Microsoft 365 account. We’ll distribute the survey form to those who will be conducting it. After making the survey, we will get responses. We can see a summary of the situation in the response form. Then, using Microsoft Excel, we’ll open the response file. As a result, the response file will be used to automatically upload all of the individual entries into Excel.
Step 1: Open Microsoft Account
- Go to your Microsoft 365 account.
- From the applications, select the Forms application.
- Click on New Form to create a blank new form.
- In another way, you can choose any template according to the survey you want to conduct.
- In our example form, we will choose the Employee Satisfaction Survey template.
Step 2: Create a Web Form with Microsoft Forms Application
- After selecting the template, you can customize the questions and the options you prefer.
- In our form, we have set four questions about the job position, the job experience in our company, and the satisfaction level of individuals.
- Here, in the image below, we insert the first question in the form about the job position of an individual employee.
- In the second question, we wanted to know the time duration of an employee in the organization.
- For the third question, we add some opinion options about the career opportunities an employee can pursue.
- And for the last question, we want to get the feedback about the satisfactory level of pay and benefits of the employees.
- How to Create a Data Log in Excel (2 Suitable Ways)
- Types of Data Entry in Excel (A Quick Overview)
- How to Create Data Entry Form in Excel VBA (with Easy Steps)
- Create Data Entry Form with Drop Down List in Excel (2 Methods)
- How to Make a Fillable Form in Excel (5 Suitable Examples)
- To distribute the form among the people, click on the Send button.
- A Copy Link will appear. You can just click on Copy to copy the link address and paste it to individuals.
- In another way, you can send the files through the available options (Email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Step 4: Collect Responses from Web Form
- You can see the responses in the form after people submit it.
- We have got about 37 responses from our form. Your responses will appear in columns, bars, and pie charts for each individual question.
- In the image below, we have shown the responses on the first two questions.
- In the next image, the response to the last two questions is depicted.
Step 5: Export Web Form to Excel to Populate Spreadsheet with Responses
- To populate a spreadsheet with the responses of each individual, simply click on the Open in Excel command.
- As a result, all of your entries will be exported into an Excel file in a table format.
- In addition, you can edit the columns and rows to make any changes. You can delete any column or row to make it easier to read or if you think of it as insignificant.
I hope this article has given you a tutorial about how to populate an Excel spreadsheet from a web form. All of these procedures should be learned and applied to your dataset. Take a look at the practice workbook and put these skills to the test. We’re motivated to keep making tutorials like this because of your valuable support.
Please contact us if you have any questions. Also, feel free to leave comments in the section below.
We, the ExcelDemy Team, are always responsive to your queries.
Stay with us and keep learning.