While working with Microsoft Excel, we may use horizontal and vertical graph gridlines to enhance the content in a chart with axes simpler to interpret. Sometimes, when we insert a graph, it comes with gridlines by default, which may not be ideal for watching. In this article, we will demonstrate different methods to remove gridlines in Excel Graph.
What Are Gridlines in Excel Graph?
Gridlines are horizontal lines that span the chart plot and indicate axis divisions. These assist chart viewers to understand what value an unlabeled data point represents. It provides essential indications to the observer, especially for big or sophisticated charts.
Gridlines stretch throughout the plot area of the chart from any horizontal and vertical axes. In 3-D charts, depth gridlines can also be displayed. Gridlines correspond with primary and secondary tick markings on the directions when tick markers are presented for primary and secondary units.
You may use transverse and longitudinal chart gridlines to make the data in a chart with axes simpler to read. Gridlines stretch throughout the plot area of the chart from any horizontal and vertical axes.
How to Remove Gridlines in Excel Graph: 5 Easy Methods
Suppose, we have a set of data, and the dataset is a representation of a company’s monthly revenue. So, the dataset consists of the information on the revenue for each month in column C and 9 months in column B.
Now, I want to display the graphical representation of this dataset. For this, go to Insert > Charts. But we may not want to display the gridlines in Excel graphs. So, we need to remove those gridlines from the graph. There are various ways to do that. Let’s demonstrate all the methods to remove gridlines from an Excel Graph.
1. Use Delete Key or Delete Option to Remove Gridlines from Graph
We can simply remove the gridlines from the Excel graph using the delete key or delete option. For this, we just need some simple clicks. Let’s follow the steps down.
- Firstly, select any gridlines by clicking on one of them except the first gridline.
- Secondly, right-click and click on the Delete context menu option.
- Or, you can just select the Vertical (Value) Axis Major Gridlines to remove the vertical gridlines and press the Delete key from your keyboard.
- And, if you want to remove the horizontal gridlines, click on the Horizontal (Value) Axis Major Gridlines and press the Delete key on the keyboard to erase them.
- Finally, simply just following these steps will remove the gridlines from your Excel graph.
Read More: How to Add Vertical Gridlines to Excel Chart
2. Clear Gridlines from a Graph by Quick Layout Option in Excel
Quick Layout allows us to easily modify the general layout of the chart by selecting one of the predefined layout choices. We can clear gridlines from Excel graphs using the quick layout option. For this, we have to look at the procedures.
- First of all, click on the graph and go to the Chart Design from the ribbon.
- Second, under the Chart Layouts category, click on the Quick Layout drop-down menu.
- Thirdly, select the layout that does not contain the gridlines. So, we select Layout 4.
- And, that’s it! This will remove all the gridlines from the graph.
3. Delete Gridlines from Graph with Chart Element
Chart elements refer to the many components that make up a chart. To use the char element to remove the gridlines from the Excel graph, we need to look at the steps below.
- To begin, click on the graph and go to the Chart Design from the ribbon.
- Then, click on the Add Chart Element drop-down menu, under the Chart Layouts category.
- Further, click on the Gridlines and select Primary Major Horizontal or Primary Major Vertical which gridline you want to remove.
- Instead of doing this, you can click on the Plus (+) sign, which is the Chat Elements.
- Then, uncheck the box which is for the Gridlines or uncheck Primary Major Horizontal or Primary Major Vertical which gridline you want to clever from your Excel graph.
- And, that’s all! The gridlines are removed from your graph.
4. Format Gridlines Feature to Remove Gridlines from Excel Graph
We can format our Excel graph gridlines to remove them. Let’s see the steps to remove gridlines from the Excel graph using the format gridlines.
- First, click on any gridline then right-click.
- Next, go to the Format Gridlines option.
- Then, select No line to remove all gridlines from the graph.
- Finally, following the steps will remove all the gridlines from your Excel graph.
5. Excel VBA to Remove Gridlines from Excel Graph
With Excel VBA, users can easily use the code which acts as Excel menus from the ribbon. To use the VBA code to remove gridlines from Excel graphs, let’s follow the procedure.
- Firstly, go to the Developer tab from the ribbon.
- Secondly, from the Code category, click on Visual Basic to open the Visual Basic Editor. Or press Alt + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.
- Instead of doing this, you can just right-click on your worksheet and go to View Code. This will also take you to Visual Basic Editor.
- This will appear in the Visual Basic Editor where we write our codes to create a table from range.
- Thirdly, click on Module from the Insert drop-down menu bar.
- This will create a Module in your workbook.
- And, copy and paste the VBA code shown below.
Sub Remove_Gridlines() Dim a As Axes Dim wsht As Worksheet Dim ChtObj As ChartObject For Each wsht In Worksheets wsht.Activate For Each ChtObj In wsht.ChartObjects With ChtObj.Chart For Each a In ChtObj.Chart .Axes.HasMajorGridlines = False .Axes.HasMinorGridlines = False Next a End With Next ChtObj Next wsht End Sub
- After that, run the code by clicking on the RubSub button or pressing the keyboard shortcut F5.
- And, this will remove all the gridlines in the Excel graph from the active worksheets.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with them.
The above methods will assist you to remove Gridlines in Excel Graph. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback please let us know in the comment section.
- How to Add Primary Major Horizontal Gridlines in Excel
- How to Add Primary Major Vertical Gridlines in Excel
- How to Add Primary Minor Vertical Gridlines in Excel
- How to Add Minor Gridlines in Excel
- How to Add Gridlines to a Graph in Excel
- How to Adjust Chart Gridlines Spacing in Excel
- How to Make Square Grid Lines in Excel Graph
- How to Adjust Gridlines in Excel Chart