After working in Excel spreadsheets, it is usual to make a report which is in a Word file. So, you may need to insert the Excel Spreadsheets into Word. Often people find it difficult to drag the Excel data, charts, tables, etc into the Word file. In this article, you will find 4 easy methods to insert an Excel Spreadsheet into Word.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following practice workbook for free.
4 Methods to Insert an Excel Spreadsheet into Word
This dataset includes the data of bank account openings which includes 7 columns and 8 rows. And this data will be inserted into a Word file.
1. Insert an Excel Worksheet into Word by Doing Copy and Paste Directly
The simplest and easiest method to insert Excel spreadsheet data into Word is using the Copy and Paste Feature of Windows.
- First, open the Excel file and select the data that you want to insert into the document by dragging the mousing pressing. And press Ctrl+C on the keyboard. Then you will see a dashed rectangle surrounding the selected cells.
- After that, without using Ctrl+C, You can press the Right button on the mouse after selecting the cells. Now, there opens a window and select the Copy option. Thus the selected cells will be copied.
- Then, go to the Word file and place the cursor into the file, and press Ctrl+V on the keyboard. You will see the selected and copied cells from the Excel file have appeared in the same formatting.
- In another way, you can Press the Right Button on the mouse and there opens a window. Under the Paste Options, you can select one to paste the selected cells here. Then, You should select the first one ‘Keep Source formatting’ to keep the formatting the same as the Excel file.
Notes: By this method, the Excel file cells are converted to a data table. And in the Word file, you can’t use any formula or do any calculation if needed. This method is useful if you want to make just a report which will be viewed only.
2. Insert as an Embedded Object
With the previous method, you can’t use any functions, formulas, or calculations in the Word file. This method is the solution of it. Making an embedded object will allow using these things in a Word file just like in an Excel file.
- First, Copy the selected cells in Excel File that you want to insert by using Ctrl+C.
- Then, go to the Word file, and place the cursor in the location where you will insert the table. Now, in the Top Ribbon, go through these steps: Home > Paste > Paste Special
- Doing that, a dialog box named ‘Paste Special’ will appear. Now, you will see Paste option is already selected. And then select the ‘Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object’ from the dropdown menu.
- And then, press the OK button.
- Now, you will see the copied cells have appeared in a box as an object. You change the dimensions to fit the data. To edit the data, you Double-click on the object. Then. inside the object, an entire Excel file will open, you can edit, save and do anything but the whole thing is inside the word file. The main excel file will remain unchanged.
- Copy Only Text from Excel to Word (3 Quick Methods)
- How to Convert Excel to Word Labels (With Easy Steps)
- Copy and Paste from Excel to Word Without Cells (2 Quick Ways)
- How to Open Word Document and Save As PDF or Docx with VBA Excel
3. Insert as a Linked Object
Using an Excel file inside a Word file may become troublesome. You can use the linked object option to link the word file with the Excel file.
- First, copy the selected cells in Excel File that you want to insert by using Ctrl+C.
- Now, go to the Word file, and place the cursor in the location where you will insert the table. Now in the Top Ribbon, go through these steps: Home > Paste > Paste Special
- After that, select the ‘Paste link’ option. And select ‘Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object’ in the drop-down menu. And Press Ok.
- Then, you will see the copied cells appear as an object. Double-clicking on the object will open the Excel file from where the cells are copied. When you edit the main Excel file, it will change the Word file automatically.
4. Insert Using the Table Option
Another easy method for inserting Excel data into a Word file is by inserting a spreadsheet into a Word document.
- At first, open the Word And press on the location where you want to insert the table.
- Then, from the top Ribbon, Press on the Insert option and go through these steps:
Insert > Table > Excel spreadsheet
- There, you will see a spreadsheet box appeared. You can simply Copy and Paste cells here to bring data from external Excel files.
Inserting an Excel file into a Word file is a matter of regular use. But often we get troubled to do this. So, I have made this article for you to insert Excel files in Word by 4 easy methods. Here, the 1st method is very simple and easy but it gives less flexibility in changing data in the future and the 2nd and 3rd method gives you the option to change formulated data easily. I hope you found this article helpful and you can visit our website Exceldemy to learn more Excel-related content. Please, drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.