The spell checker in Excel helps a lot to fix any unexpected errors in spelling. It can auto-correct or give you suggestions. But in some cases, you may face some unexpected problems when the spell check is not working in Excel. This article will provide you with 4 useful fixes to overcome those problems.
Spell Check Is Not Working in Excel: 4 Cases and Solutions
To explore the fixes, we’ll use the following dataset that represents some clothes’ prices.
1. Excel Cannot Check Spell in Cell That Contains Formula
The most common problem is- you are trying to check the spelling in a formula, but it is not working! I have used the VLOOKUP function here to find the price of Hat. But I typed Haat and that’s why the formula is not working. Now let’s try the spell checker in Excel and see what happens.
- Click Review > Spelling.
The spell checker in Excel got no wrong spelling! The reason is Excel spell checker doesn’t work directly in formulas.
- Double click the word.
- Then click Spelling.
Now have a look that a dialog box opened and showing the suggestions.
- Select the right word and press Change.
Soon after you will get the corrected word.
2. Excel Cannot Apply AutoCorrect for Text in a Dialog Box
If you try the spell checker in a dialog box in Excel, then it won’t work. Because Excel doesn’t offer this feature.
See that I tried Conditional Formatting in Excel and then tried to use the Spelling command, but the command is unable to use in the dialog box.
- For this case, there is no built-in Excel feature. You will have to correct spelling manually in the dialog box.
3. Turn On Custom Dictionary Option If Spell Check Is Not Working in Excel
Spell checker always uses a dictionary to correct spells. So, if you do not turn on that custom dictionary then Excel will be failed to check the spelling. Now let me show you how to turn it on.
- Click on File beside the Home tab.
- Later, select Options from the lower part.
And soon after a dialog box will open up.
- Then click as follows: Proofing > Custom Dictionaries.
Another dialog box will open up.
- At this moment, mark all the options.
- Finally, press OK.
Read More: How to Turn Off Spell Check in Excel
4. Unprotect Sheet If Spell Check Is Not Working in Excel
Another major reason is maybe your sheet is protected with a password so you can only view the sheet. You will not be able to change anything or use the Spelling command. Have a look at the dataset, the command is unavailable.
- Click as follows: Home > Cells > Format > Unprotect Sheet.
- At this moment, give the password and press OK.
Then you will get the Spelling command available.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel template from here and practice on your own.
I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to fix the problem when the spell check in Excel is not working. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback.
- How to Turn on Spell Check in Excel
- How to Check Spelling and Grammar in Excel
- How to Perform a Spelling Check on the Active Worksheet in Excel