While working in Excel, sometimes you need to break your line or connect two strings to make your report or presentation more lucrative and presentable. To serve this kind of purpose you need to use Excel CHAR 10 Function. In this article, I am going to describe the CHAR 10 Function as well as show 3 methods of its usage. So, without further delay, let’s jump into the descriptions.
Download Practice Workbook
Please download the practice workbook to practice yourself.
Introduction to CHAR(10) Function
CHAR Function is a core Excel function. This function takes ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) code as an input. After that, it returns a symbol or character for that ASCII number. English letters, numbers. Symbols etc. are included in ASCII code. For example, you can add an Asterisk sign by writing the following equation.
CHAR 10 Function returns a distinct value. This is the first value of the ASCII code. The CHAR 10 Function returns a Line Break in Excel.
The Syntax of the Excel CHAR 10 Function is given below.
|Argument||Required or Optional||Value|
|10||Required||Returns the Line Break Command|
3 Suitable Methods of Using CHAR(10) Function in Excel
Let’s consider a dataset on the Bill Report of ABC Company. The dataset has three columns B, C, and D naming Customer ID, Name, and Status respectively. The dataset ranges from B4 to D10. In this dataset the status of customer Penny is unknown and the status of Customer Cathy is not available. From here, I will show you how to Use Excel CHAR 10 Function with the necessary steps and illustrations.
1. Apply Line Break by Using CHAR(10) Function in Excel
In this part of this article, I will show the method of Applying Line Breaks by Using the Excel CHAR 10 Function. Here I am going to describe the steps with necessary illustrations.
- First, Select the D6 I will apply Line Break in this cell.
- Then, apply the following formula in the D6
="Reported"&CHAR(10)&" for"&CHAR(10)&" his behaviour"
- Last, You will get the result just like the following picture.
2. Use CHAR(10) Function to Replace Line Break
In this portion, I will show a method to Replace the Line Break. I will use Excel CHAR 10 Function to follow the method. Here I have modified the dataset for your convenience, you can see it in the next picture. I have replaced the status column with address. Every address in this dataset is under the Line Break command. Let’s follow the steps described below.
- Add a new column called Address.
- Then, Write down the following formula in cell E5.
- Then, you will find the result just like the picture given below.
- After that, Fill-Handle the formula from E5 to E10.
- As a result, you will find the output like the picture shown below.
3. Add Two Strings by Inserting Chart(10) Function in Excel
Here, I will show how to use Excel Chart 10 Function to Add Two Strings. I consider another change of dataset. However, I will add Customer ID and Name together in the D column. Let’s follow the steps one by one.
- Select the D5.
- Then, write down the following formula in it.
- After that, Fill-Handle the equation from D5 to D10.
- Finally, you will find the result just like the picture given below.
Things to Remember
- You should remember that if the formula does not work for Line Break in method 1, Enable the Wrap Text option.
In this article, I have tried to discuss the Excel CHAR 10 Function. Hope you will understand the whole 3 methods and increase your Excel skill. If you have any kind of questions. Feel free to ask me in the comment section.