In this tutorial, we will demonstrate to you how to convert text to hyperlink in Excel. Hyperlinks in excel are used to link between websites. Also in this tutorial, we will cover how we can insert a hyperlink to go to another cell. Throughout this tutorial, we will go over different methods to convert text to hyperlink in excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here.
In this article, we will learn 5 convenient methods to convert text to hyperlink in excel. To illustrate these methods we will use a dataset of website URLs of 5 companies.
In Excel, if we insert any link it automatically turns into a hyperlink. This function works only when the option of automatic conversion of hyperlinks is activated. In the following dataset, we can see the URLs of 5 companies. Here, if we input the URLs manually, we will see the URLs don’t convert into links. It’s happening because the automatic hyperlink option is not activated. Let’s take a look at the steps of performing this action.
- Firstly, go to the File tab.
- Secondly, select Options.
- A new dialogue box for “Excel Option” will appear.
- Thirdly, go to the Proofing section and select the option “AutoCorrect Options”.
- Now, one more new dialogue box named AutoCorrect will appear.
- Fourthly, select the option “AutoFormat As You Type”. Then, check the option “Internet and network paths with hyperlinks”.
- Click on OK.
- After that, if we input our first URL manually in cell C5 and press Enter, it will automatically convert into a hyperlink.
- Lastly, we will input all the URLs manually in column C. So we will get the hyperlinks in column C for all the URLs of column B.
In this example, we will convert a text word to a clickable hyperlink. We will do this by linking a text with a specific URL. In the following dataset, we have names of companies and their website URLs. We will convert the names of companies into clickable hyperlinks. So, we will be able to access their website only by clicking on the company name. Let’s see the steps regarding this method.
- First, select cell B5.
- Next, go to the Insert tab from the ribbon and select the option Link.
- A new dialogue box will appear.
- Then, select the option “Existing File or Web Page”. Insert the link to that company in the “Address”.
- Now, click on OK.
- So, we get a clickable link in the company name “Exceldemy”. If we click on the company name it will take us to their website.
- Finally, like the previous one, we can convert all the company names into clickable links.
Read More: Excel Hyperlink with Shortcut Key (3 Uses)
One more convenient and first process to convert text to hyperlink in excel is the use of the HYPERLINK function. Here, we have the following dataset of URLs of 5 companies in column B. We will create hyperlinks for these URLs in column C. Let’s see the following steps to how this function helps us to convert text to hyperlink.
- In the beginning, select cell C5 and insert the following formula:
- Next, press Enter.
- So, it creates a hyperlink for the URL in cell B5.
- After that, drag the Fill Handle tool to the end of the data range.
- Finally, in column C we get hyperlinks for all the URLs in column B.
- How to Create a Drop Down List Hyperlink to Another Sheet in Excel
- How to Link Picture to Cell Value in Excel (4 Quick Methods)
- Why Do My Excel Links Keep Breaking? (3 Reasons with Solutions)
- [Fixed!] ‘This workbook contains links to other data sources’ Error in Excel
- [Fix]: Excel Edit Links Change Source Not Working
The use of VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) code is another effective method to convert text to hyperlink in excel. We can easily convert a range of URLs into hyperlinks by using VBA code. In this following dataset, we will convert the URLs of companies into hyperlinks with the use of VBA code. To apply VBA code to convert text to hyperlink in excel just follow the below steps.
- Firstly, go to the Developer tab and select the “Visual Basic” option from the ribbon.
- This will open the visual basic window.
- Secondly, go to the Insert From the drop-down select the option Module.
- A new blank VBA MODULE will appear.
- Thirdly, insert the following code in that module:
Sub Convert_Hyperlink() For Each x In Selection ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=x, Address:=x.Formula Next x End Sub
- Now, click on the Run or press the F5 key to run the code.
- Lastly, we can see all the URLs of column C are now converted into hyperlinks.
This method is slightly different from the above ones. In this example, we will link one cell with another cell in the same worksheet whereas in the previous examples we linked a URL with a text value in a particular cell. In the following dataset, we will link between cells of column B and column C. For example, we will link cell C5 with cell B5. So, if we click on the hyperlink of cell C5 it will take us to cell B5. Let’s see the steps to implement this method.
- First, select cell C5.
- Next, go to the Insert tab and select the option Link.
- A new dialogue box named “Insert Hyperlink” will appear.
- Then from the “Link to” section select the option “Place in this Document”.
- Input the value B5 in the section named “Type the cell reference”. The links the cell C5 with cell B5.
- Select the option “Same Worksheet” to identify the place of this document.
- Now, click on OK.
- So, we can see the company name “Exceldemy” is now converted into a hyperlink.
- After that, if we click on the hyperlink of cell C5, it will take us to cell B5.
- Finally, if we do the same process for all the cells it will link all the cells of column C with the corresponding cells in column B.
In the end, this article will give you a complete overview of how to convert text to hyperlink in excel. To practice yourself download the practice workbook added with this article. If you feel any confusion just leave a comment in the below box. We will try to answer as soon as possible. Stay tuned with us for more interesting solutions to Microsoft Excel problems.
- 7 Solutions for Greyed Out Edit Links or Change Source Option in Excel
- [Fix:] Edit Links in Excel Not Working
- Excel Hyperlink to Cell in Another Sheet with VLOOKUP (With Easy Steps)
- How to Find and Replace Hyperlinks in Excel (3 Quick Methods)
- Excel VBA: Open Hyperlink in Chrome (3 Examples)
- [Fix:] Hyperlink to Website Not Working in Excel